Maximum Bridge Clearance While Trailering

Spawn Bag

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

About to add a 3G Lowrance Radar Dome to my 2007 226 hardtop. I'm just over 12 feet now from the top of my rocket launcher to the ground while on the trailer. I would really like to mount the radar dome on a bracket to elevate however I want to make sure I stay under the maximum height for the roads I travel. I believe 13 feet 6 inches is the minimum for most state roads however wanted to see if you guys had any input. I live SW of Chicago and travel all over Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin if it matters. Someone suggested getting a Truckers Atlas??

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I trailered the same areas you speak of for years. I'm pretty sure 13' 6'' is the max height you can go. Anything higher is illegal without permits and you have the issues of low hanging tree branches, canopies in quick marts, etc.

65aircooled

Reaction score
13-6 for most States.
How tall of a bracket are you looking to install? I have a 4" 4 degree aft bracket that I like a lot and I believe I stayed just under 12'
Disregard the ridiculous size of my dome, I found a great deal on the combo that I couldn't pass and went for it thinking it wouldn't look that big :roll:

d14ad67490bf37c510d566f71636173b_zpsc49e94e6.jpg

teaklejr

Reaction score
Hello. I just went through this with my 1997 Tigercat. My boat sits pretty high on the trailer about 14 feet and while trailering it to get some canvas work done a tree branch took out my radar dome. Insurance covered it and I got a Simrad 3G dome. I did some looking and found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/SeaScan-hindge- ... 3f255ad054 it works perfect with there radar mounts. Now I use there included quick release pins in the back of hinged mount and two bolts in the front so when I trailer it I can just take the whole dome off and no worries about over height or branches. I just emailed the guy and ask him to call me so we could talk and the next day he called. Could not be happier.

If the link did not work here is the ebay item number: 271209648212

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Had same problem with mine when I got it. The Stainless mount put me right at 13' 5" ish and I was hitting lots of trees. I finally flush mounted my 3G and it saved me about 4", so now mostly sitting at 13" 1".
The only trees I hit from coast to Raleigh is on my street which is aggravating to say the least. I have to find some way to trim these, but thinking the neighbors will shoot me if I trim these low hanging branches. :mrgreen:

I put a outboard canvas cover over the dome and idle through the branches so that they do not scratch. But sometimes, I have to pull over in the opposite lane to miss other trees where I know they are too low. This requires careful planning and timing with oncoming traffic down in the Morehead City area back streets.

You would think that all the trucks driving down the roads would shear off these branches, but no, they wait until my radar dome hits them!

I can't go any lower now with flush mount, but still hit stuff occasionally. I have to plan my routes in advance or else.

I wonder if I can put a machete on a pole at 13'6" and drive 50mph and chop them out! Geez! :twisted:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi ROBERTH;
Similar problems here..I'm 12' 6" with my 232 and I have had to be wary and execute spur-of-the-moment escape maneuvers to get around low branches all over. The only time your really safe is on the Interstate.
There are enough trees..Why do they have to hang over the hiway??

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Exactly! I have a number to call in the city but haven't had time yet, but going to pursue if they can support a short route into my subdivision to clear a few of them. I heard that they would do that.
I intially had a telephone/cable line across in front of my home that was too low. Only one from here to coast that I would hang on and asked one of the service guys driving through one day if he could suggest how to get them raised. He said, I can do that for you and he took care of it. He said they were supposed to be 13' 6" min, even in our subdivision. So hoping that the city will feel the same way about the trees. If not, guess I will make a midnight walk with a pole trimmer!