Metal flakes in VST

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
After a cleanout of suspected dirt in the injectors on my 225 .. THe VST turned up some metal flakes when cleaned out. Where did they come from ?? and what am I in for ??. Boat would not throttle up properly at start of the season and mechanic felt water or dirt past filters.. He cleaned out but said it fell off a little at High RPM so he suggested cleaning injectors and VST..

fastal

Reaction score
I had the same issue mid-season last year. I believe the issue was the filter/screen in the vst tank. Mine had completely broken down. Issue was discovered when motor would cut out between 3000-3500 rpm. Local yamaha guys said it was due to the ethanol fuel breaking down the material, advised me to change the filter every year.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The metal flakes are from your fuel tank. The ethenol acts as a detergent and "cleans" your fuel tanks. On boat filter should be at least a 10-micron or the new Racor 2-micron.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I figured that was where it came from but I could not figure out how it got past the 10 micron filter.

Any issues with fuel delivery with the 2 micron ???
Is Yamaha supplying that filter now ?? or is it just Racor.

I have never heard the metal vst filter breaking down b4 but I guess anything is possible..
My guys did not indicate a problem there.

Anyone else running the 2 micron filter on a Yamaha 225 4 stroke ??

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Anyone have the part no for rhe 2 micron racor replacement for the water separating filter with the plastic bowl.. I think it might be S3228SUL..

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There was a lot of discussion about the 2-micron this Spring. The subject started to get hot when Florida got ethenol. You might want to do a search. On my OX66, cleaning the 2-micron screen filter on the bottom of the HP fuel pump was a regular maintenance chore because I was running a 10-micron fuel water sep on the boat. With a 2-micron racor that chore is eliminated (at least in theory) So far I haven't any problems but I do carry a spare on board. Might also want to get to know the guys on the boats.net Yamaha forum. This is a pretty common problem. The problem with the racor is it doesn't come as a set, cartridge & bowel. There are separate part numbers for each. I got them home and will check tonight and advise. I got them at marinefilters.com and I do recall both being a little pricey (about $45). But once you have the bowel you just have to buy the cartridge which is around $20.

Cheap insurance and beats idling back home :-|

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do have the 10 micron water seperating filter and just need to confirm the racor 2 micron part number

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok assuming you have the yamaha mount with 11/16" threads the racor 2-micron screw on element P/N is S3220S UL. You need the clear bowl which is P/N RK30475, $26.25. Check with marinefilters.com AKA Green Marine 713-242-9114. The parts girl is Jamie and her email is jamie@greenmarine.com. I believe it's a new filter from Racor, probably to deal with this ethenol crap. They didn't have the filter or bowl in stock but got it in a few days. It was real refreshing that they didn't want my credit card number until they got the parts. Good vendor! Let us know how you make out.