New England Boat Show

capeguy

Reaction score
I'll probably go twice, once with kids once for me... Hopefully they'll have the new 230....

striped bass

Reaction score
That's kind of cool that you have a rationale for going twice!
I'd like to see the new 230 as well. The T 275 is always high on my list. Last year the number of exhibitors was down from prior years. I guess it is too much to expect for an increase given the state of the economy.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I will be there when it opens at 10 AM Saturday morning. It already feels like it's been a long cold winter (and probably not even over just yet). I'm one of those people that when I'm not boating I'm thinking about boating. My wife (a non boater who tolerates being married to a boater) asked me why if I just bought a new boat, why do I still want to go to the boat show. I explained to her that I needed to go (not just wanted to go) and that when you buy a new boat, you need to buy all of the stuff that goes with it (and even if I didn't, I'd still want to go just to experience the smell of fiberglass in the morning).

Having attended the Newport in-the-water Boat Show last Fall (which had a pretty good turnout and a large number of people looking seriously but who didn't seem to have brought their wallets), I'm guessing that it should be a reasonably good turnout and that people should be thinking seriously about buying. The stock market seems to have stabilized a bit (and hopefully will continue to do so) and life is short - so boat now.

Hope to see other Great Grady members at the show.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Monday is my day, it is usually empty, but then again I think the last couple of times I went during the week it was snowing.

The newly formed Northeast GW club will be assembling at the GW booth on Monday at 1:00PM if anyone is interested stop in. We are in the early stages of planning our first summer event which looks like it will involve Crane Beach before the green heads invade.

232 GULF

Reaction score
Will be there Saturday afternoon and can't wait. Drinking beer, looking at and touring brand new boats, and dreaming of Spring. What could be better??? (Besides it being July) :D

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Friday will be my only chance to attend. I always look forward to the show and was sorry the one in the fall didn't happen.

Tashmoo said:
The newly formed Northeast GW club will be assembling at the GW booth on Monday at 1:00PM if anyone is interested stop in. We are in the early stages of planning our first summer event which looks like it will involve Crane Beach before the green heads invade.

Will there be any information at the Grady exhibit about the NE GW club? I am interested in some details about the meeting schedule and other info that might be available.

Hoping for a splash in mid to late April for groundfish blitz. Come on SPRING!!!! :D :D :D

Close to 50 today. WAHOO!

townvet

Reaction score
Went on Saturday. Good show but small. The Grady displays were some of the best. They do have a 230 Fisherman...blue hull?? I understand that Grady will be offering some custom hull colors.
I was impressed with the Canyon 366. Lots of "yummies".
I was also impressed by climbing on all of the other boats and then coming back to Grady and getting aboard to see the quality and feel. I am very glad to have a Grady.

I did get to hear the sales bell from the Sea Ray boys once all day for making a sale. The greyhound bus of boats!

striped bass

Reaction score
Townvet:

Thanks for the update. From your description the show seems smaller than last year. I look forward to seeing the new 23 fisherman.

232 GULF

Reaction score
Yes, the show was most definitely smaller than last year. The Grady display was very impressive although I would have liked to see one of the express models there. Two of the guys at the Grady display are my local marina salesmen (Bayside in Duxbury). Father/son team, both are great guys and very approachable. I thought we'd get to see the new yammi V6 300 but didn't see any there, did anyone else?

richie rich

Reaction score
Didn't see the new engine, but did check out the new 36 canyon....pretty impressive....they put a grill in between 2 bait wells? And an interesting birth beneath the console...its a big boat for a CC

The Cat Blue boats were there as well...nice color....its a factory paintjob by GW...they used a Pittsburgh Paint on it...they still won't do a colored gelcoat because they don't like the way colored boats chalk after a few years...so the story goes.

the show is smaller but you can spend the whole day checking out all the boats....some of those Sunday cruisers looked nice...

My boat really looks old now.... :cry:

JeffN

Reaction score
richie rich said:
And an interesting birth beneath the console...i

They had a woman give birth on the boat at the show??? Is there a discount on that boat now? :shock: :shock: Well that will make a good story for the kid later in life right! :D

richie rich

Reaction score
Well, after looking at my checking account before leaving the house, and then looking at the beautiful boats at the show, and then seeing their beautiful price tags to go along with it...the description of what happened (to me) isn't too far from the truth... :lol:

Fishtales

Reaction score
The show is definately smaller. The curtain wall at one end was way in from the past years in the new building. I was told by several of the small vendors that business was brisk.

The 36 Canyon was impressive and the $430K show price sticker was a bit of a shock. I really liked the led lights, molded in features and overall room of the boat. I could never justify that kind of jing for the boat.

The 29 Chesepeak show price was around $220K if my memory serves me right. To be honest, it didn't feel any roomier than my 282 did, although the cabin layout is a bit better.

I'm glad I bought when I did. The way the prices are heading it will be difficult for me to justify any moving up.

ScottM

Reaction score
232 GULF said:
Two of the guys at the Grady display are my local marina salesmen (Bayside in Duxbury). Father/son team, both are great guys and very approachable.

Jack and his father are first class guys.

Regarding the 230 hull color, Jack told me that a shop down the road from GW does the paint job since GW doesn't have the equipment in house. It is a really sharp color.

232 GULF

Reaction score
ScottM said:
232 GULF said:
Two of the guys at the Grady display are my local marina salesmen (Bayside in Duxbury). Father/son team, both are great guys and very approachable.

Jack and his father are first class guys.

Regarding the 230 hull color, Jack told me that a shop down the road from GW does the paint job since GW doesn't have the equipment in house. It is a really sharp color.

Good to know. Love the new blue color but would have to think hard about ordering it on a brand new hull. Can't say enough about those two guys, glad to hear someone else voice it :D

capeguy

Reaction score
I went yesterday and found the show somewhat depressing. Not much to see with notable missing brands like Everglades, Scout, Southport, Carolina Classic, and more. Very small show. Not much to compare.

I thought the GW display was lacking. The only cabin model over 25 feet was the Chesapeake, no expresses, Marlin... Clearly they are focused on the Tournament models as they had every one of them.

Personally I do not care for the blue hull color along with the off white GW color, would be better with true white, but I'm sure many will like it.

While I think the big CCs and Tournaments are cool, I'm not sure why someone would buy one up here. Just my $0.02 but if I'm going 90 miles offshore in a 30-36' boat, why would I want a CC or DC? I don't personally see the point for our waters. Florida, OK...

To me the only boats worth spending time on were the Pursuit 315 and 345. I have to say that having been targetting a Marlin or possibly 330 Express for my next boat, the Pursuits are becoming real competition. While I still find the GW cockpit layout and helm layout preferable, the fit and finish of the Pursuit is clearly more impressive. Their cabins are nicer and more innovative as well.

The integrated hardtop and windshield of the Pursuit makes the GW look dated.

However, GW s use of space, the drop down bench seat, the layout are far superior to me....

Hopefully the economy will improve and we'll have more variety next year!

Average Joe

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
The 29 Chesepeake show price was around $220K if my memory serves me right. To be honest, it didn't feel any roomier than my 282 did, although the cabin layout is a bit better.

Wow! If I recall correctly The 29 Chessy @ the boat show in Va. Beach was less than $160k.That's a pretty big difference. Of course it doesn't really matter to me because either way it's out of my price range.

I'm looking at moving up to the 228 but no one seems to stock it any more. The local dealer has two 226's and said he has no plans to put a 228 on the lot. I know they can order one but the 79k price tag is too high IMO and I think ordering one reduces the ability to negotiate. I'd take a good late model used boat if the price is right and I can sell my 208.