New LED lights in my cockpit...what do you think?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dang! that is really nice! Great job! Do they have their own switches?? I'm planing for lights under my gunnel and was going to wire them into the cockpit curtousy lights.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah I just picked up power from the curtasy light, they switch on from my panel. There bright but since there up under the gunnels there's no direct light so it's really easy on the eyes

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Nice job. I bought these water proof diamond bright LEDs from Autozone for $30 a piece, mounted them but they are too bright. Took my kids night fishing on the lake and it was not easy on the eyes. I moved them to a different position on under the gunwale to cast light down the panel along the side where the rod holders are. I have not tested them in darkness. Like you, I added 12 inch led strips up under the cock pit area to cast a soft glow. Those are fine. Anyway, nice job.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can't decide how many lights (length of strip) I need under the gunnels. I like a nice blue light but I don't want the boat to be so bright it looks like a carnival ride. And...I didn't know LED lights kept the bugs away.

zimm

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of 16' all red LED strips. Looks like I can make a run from the helm all the way back to the motor well and the same on the port side. The hard part will be running wires from the port side under the floor to the starboard, then tying into an accessory switch- I want them separate from the cockpit lights. That way I have white or red depending on need. I just hope 32' of red LED's don't make me look like a channel marker.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
zimm said:
If you click the "Img" button, it shows the pics like this:

Thanks I was having issues via my Mobile and photobucket..this was a quick work around

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
zimm said:
I purchased a pair of 16' all red LED strips. Looks like I can make a run from the helm all the way back to the motor well and the same on the port side. The hard part will be running wires from the port side under the floor to the starboard, then tying into an accessory switch- I want them separate from the cockpit lights. That way I have white or red depending on need. I just hope 32' of red LED's don't make me look like a channel marker.

I have 2 12in under the helm area and 2 36 inch under the rod holder gunnels and is perfect

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Zimm,
I found the 12 inch in the helm area and the 24 inches under the gunwale is about all you need. Your boat is going to be the red light district (lol) if you mount all 32 feet of that stuff on the boat. I wanted to go red but the admiral wanted blue. Admiral wins. Since you are a pilot you can appreciate red for maintaining your night vision. I wired mine in with the cockpit lights and since I installed under water stern lights, I used the other Accessory switch for that. I know there is a second still open.

LED lights do not attract or repel bugs, the type of bulb matters not, it is the color of the light emitted. Going to red or blue or amber the bugs are not drawn to it like white.