New member looking at Overnighters

sailor94511

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently living in California with my Boston Whaler Nauset, but will be moving to Florida. It cost to much to ship the Whaler, so I am selling it and want to get a GW when I get to Florida. Having a cuddy so my wife can pee is a big selling feature. ;>) I am a little worried about the rot in transoms. Some of the GW's have an engine bracket on the transom. Does this lower the chance of transom rot? Was this an option for all years? Has anyone repaired a rotted transom and added the engine bracket? It seems that this could be a better way to fix the transom.
I'm sure I will be back here with a lot of questions before I buy a GW. My budget will be around $5000. Having worked for boat builders and was a West Marine store manager, I have some knowledge of boats.

Thanks for your help. David

billyttpd

Reaction score
The engine bracket was an option on the Overnighters some had the splashwell design others had the full transom and bracket....it was never carried over to the Adventure which is a newer version of the Overnighter.
Have heard of transom isssues with the Overnighters but that being said there are also alot of Overnighters that are still rock solid. I boat the Delaware Bay and there are at least a handful of Overnighters in my marina plus what I see on the water. most are in fine shape and some are pushing 30 years old!
IMO the Adventure due to its SeaV2 hull has a better ride yet the Overnighter has two features that unfortunately were not carried over to the Adventure. The storage box in the floor near the helm and transom splashwell fishbox. Take note that while I said I think the Adventure rides a little better I have spent some time on an Overnighter and it rides pretty good as well although it is a little wetter. In the 1980's The Overnighter 20 was one of Grady's best selling boats so there was alot of them made.
With the amount of boats in Florida pluswith the help of the internet you should be able to find an Overnighter that is in decent shape that fits your budget.

billyttpd

Reaction score
The engine bracket was an option on the Overnighters some had the splashwell design others had the full transom and bracket....it was never carried over to the Adventure which is a newer version of the Overnighter.
Have heard of transom isssues with the Overnighters but that being said there are also alot of Overnighters that are still rock solid. I boat the Delaware Bay and there are at least a handful of Overnighters in my marina plus what I see on the water. most are in fine shape and some are pushing 30 years old!
IMO the Adventure due to its SeaV2 hull has a better ride yet the Overnighter has two features that unfortunately were not carried over to the Adventure. The storage box in the floor near the helm and transom splashwell fishbox. Take note that while I said I think the Adventure rides a little better I have spent some time on an Overnighter and it rides pretty good as well although it is a little wetter. In the 1980's The Overnighter 20 was one of Grady's best selling boats so there was alot of them made.
With the amount of boats in Florida pluswith the help of the internet you should be able to find an Overnighter that is in decent shape that fits your budget.

gw204

Reaction score
It should be noted that changing out the forward thru-hulls on an Overnighter is a terrible pain in the @ss at best. So, look for one where that has already been done. I'm not sure if it's any easier on the Adventurer.

sailor94511

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I will be doing most of my boating on the upper St. John's river so I think the "wetter" ride of the early Overnighters will not be as much of a problem. Same thing is said about my Boston Whaler Nauset, but living on the Delta in California, it's not a problem. What is the problem with forward thru hulls? Seeing that the Overnighters are an outboard and doesn't have a sink in the cuddy and just a porti pottie, what are the thru hulls for and why are the hard to change? Inquiring minds what to know!

Thanks! David

gw204

Reaction score
They are for the helm/fishbox drains. The problem is access. You need arms like 12' long.

sailor94511

Reaction score
Thanks GW204. Why do they need replacing? Do they deteriorate? I assume they don't have valves. I worked for a few boat builders and know that a lot of things are done before the deck or liner goes on and can make it almost impossible to get to. I'll have to check it out. I have seen an Overnighter "in person" Not many here in NorCal.

Thanks again! David

gw204

Reaction score
OEM ones are plastic and get brittle over time. I replaced them on a late 80's Overnighter last year and one was already cracked. I was able to grab them from the inside and easily break them off.

No valves and they are just slightly above the waterline.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My first Grady was an Overnighter and it sold me on Grady's. I used it for 10 years and never had a problem with it. The ride in rough water was a little wet but you should not have a problem in the river.

The main advantage of the bracket is that it puts the motor outside the transom and gives you more room in the cockpit.

You are going to love it.

Ed

sailor94511

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Another question about the Overnighters. I think I see some on Craigslist that have four cabin windows; two on the forward cabin and two on the side; which I believe are sliders. Is there certain years that have four and others have only the two side windows? My wife likes a lot of light instead of a cave down below.

Thanks again. David.

Bryan3536

Reaction score
Can't speak to all model years but I can tell you 2 side windows on 1990. Go to Grady's website - pretty sure they have brochures for every model year. I downloaded the 1990 and have it to refer to whenever.

Honestly, I think you don't need to worry about the light in the cabin, or at least dont make it a priority, because realistically, you are not spending much time in it. For the portopotti, to nap, and if you want to rough it for a night, to sleep. Not a place to do much else. I certainly wouldn't opt for an older model on that basis, but just one man's opinion (and I just bought the boat).

sailor94511

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Another question about power. I see some Overnighters with smaller outboards, under 200 HP. I will be using it mainly on the Saint Johns River in Florida. Not much ocean boating, except some close shore site seeing. I do want to get an Overnighter with an outboard bracket for more room in the cockpit, but that might also help with the outboard performance. I will be getting an older Overnighter so it will probably have less than 200 HP, unless I get one without an engine. Any comments on engine size? I know that "bigger is better", but with my budget and use, I wonder if I can get by with less HP.
Thanks again for all your input.
David

billyttpd

Reaction score
sailor the four window Overnighter you saw was more than likely a mislabled Seafarer which is a 22 ft w/a. Overnighters have a window on each side no forward wondows. The larger W/A have two forward windows. As for power the Overnighter 150hp combo is predominant around my area. Adequate power without a doubt. I sprung for a 200 on my Adventure but they are usually rigged with a 150 also and i rarely hear people say they are underpowered with a 150. you won't set a speed record with a 150 (or a 200 for that matter) but you will get where you want to go. In old Grady brochures you may see some with a 135. I have heard people say the boat is underpowered with a 135. Pretty sure all those 135 boats are now repowered to at least a 150.

billyttpd

Reaction score
GW204 is 100 percent correct about the forward thru hulls too. they are like a ten dollar part with agrravation attached of you want to replace them yourself. I paid to have mine replaced.