New outriggers - is reinforcing a must?

Uncle Binky

Reaction score
I have received my new Taco 2801 mounts and 16' carbon fiber poles. I intend to mount them to the top just outboard of the frame - I know many have mounted theirs in this way, but how many have welded reinforcement plates to the tower frame, and how many have been successful with just mounting to the top? It's stout up there, for sure, but I wanted to hear from those who have done it.

seasick

Reaction score
Uncle Binky said:
I have received my new Taco 2801 mounts and 16' carbon fiber poles. I intend to mount them to the top just outboard of the frame - I know many have mounted theirs in this way, but how many have welded reinforcement plates to the tower frame, and how many have been successful with just mounting to the top? It's stout up there, for sure, but I wanted to hear from those who have done it.

If there are reinforcements molded into the top where you plan on installing then you may be OK. If the are is just plain top with no reinforcements, I wouldn't install without some sort of backing plate that is well bedded to the underside of the top. I have seen cracked tops where unreinforced outriggers were installed but to be honest they were not your specific hull.
I do not know if the backing plates have to be welded to the frame. I guess it depends on the strength of the existing top.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would think that just backing plates (not welded to the frame) would be fine. That's what I have on my 330. Note that if you weld to the frame you have to be careful of wires that may be in the tubes as the insulation mat melt under the welding heat and short out.

Fishtales

Reaction score
There is an thread on the board that discusses this in detail.
I used the taco gs270s years ago. Drilled through the hardtop with no welded plates. I recommend you use the tube spacers (plastic tubes that you install in the hardtop where the bolts go so you don't crush the hardtop. Use the backing plates. Seal everything well. I've had them for 8 years or longer this way no issues. I use them only about 8 times a year. I have the telescoping poles and when not in use, usually they are collapsed.