New owner of a 1992 254 Sailfish. I have a lot of questions about it.

Nayrsirrom

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just got this 1992 254 Sailfish SB with the Volvo Penta diesel outdrive.

Update:
After going through every inch of this boat there is no shore power or wiring for it. The new question is whether or not I should install shore power on the vessel or put in a NOCO 5x2 onboard charger and maintainer for just my battery’s.

Last edited:

Sailfishing

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yours may not have been optioned with shorepower. The outlets and breakers are not hidden. The outlets would be in plain sight in the cabin and the shorepower breakers would be on the wall to your right as you enter the cabin.

Nayrsirrom

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That’s what’s throwing me off the blueprints for this boat show them and the cabling is where it says it is. The owner prior to me didn’t do much to the boat but he got it from a dealer original owner could have gutted a bunch of it.

Nayrsirrom

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would like to try to find the correct equipment in the boat before drilling a hole and pulling in a thru-gunwall out for battery charging

Nayrsirrom

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yours may not have been optioned with shorepower. The outlets and breakers are not hidden. The outlets would be in plain sight in the cabin and the shorepower breakers would be on the wall to your right as you enter the cabin.
I do think it was just not put on at factory or could have been limited due the fact that they didn’t make many of them.

seasick

Reaction score
If it had shore power option, there would be an AC panel in addition to the DC panel. The diagrams that you looked at are somewhat generic and may show optional features. The drawings are not specific to your hull.
In addition, boats are often pre-wired at the factory for options that may or may not be installed. That is to say that having the wiring doesn't mean you have the option.

Reactions: Nayrsirrom

Nayrsirrom

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If it had shore power option, there would be an AC panel in addition to the DC panel. The diagrams that you looked at are somewhat generic and may show optional features. The drawings are not specific to your hull.
In addition, boats are often pre-wired at the factory for options that may or may not be installed. That is to say that having the wiring doesn't mean you have the option.
Would I just be better off throwing in an onboard NOCO Gene 5x2 for the battery’s and installing a 15amp thru wall for a make shift shore power. I have a 4000 watt inverter under my helm