new season-- No Power Yamaha 225

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boat starts and Idles fine... Can run at speed in neutral..When put under load.. idles down and stalls..

Background--- 2 years ago filled tank.. used about half tank last year and refilled .. ALways put in ring free and Startron.. Ran fine last year .. THis is first time in water this year.. Feels like fuel starved.. Will always restart in idle.. Could be the fuel has jelled or separated there is some component of 2 year old fuel.. During hot spell last week some fuel came out of the fill cap.. Could be blocked air intake I guess as well..

Do I need to pump out and replace all that fuel ??

G228 so that is a lot of fuel.. Don't want to spend all summer figuring this out :) Suggestions welcome

Rory

no problem

Reaction score
If you don't have a racor 10 micron fuel filter with a clear bowl you should install one and you will be able to see whats going into your engine. I would think 2 year old fuel is going to be a problem. I think you will get lots of feedback if you provide year and model of your yamaha. I wouldn't chase a lot of gremlins until you figure out the condition of your fuel. Good luck!
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... +Separator

or just the element
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... el+Filters

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When it stalls at the exact moment it is about to, is the primer squeeze bulb collapsed of full ?

If it stays looking full, get a small portable plastic gas tank, new fuel it it and hose in into the motor directly.

Run motor 1/2 hour, does it still do it?

jmbadge

Reaction score
It's a fuel problem BEEN THERE DONE THAT.. Drain fuel, dry tank, get carbs cleaned ...

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
When it stalls at the exact moment it is about to, is the primer squeeze bulb collapsed of full ?

If it stays looking full, get a small portable plastic gas tank, new fuel it it and hose in into the motor directly.

Run motor 1/2 hour, does it still do it?

Good Idea

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
I know this sounds crazy, but I had a similar problem with a brand new 2 stroke many years ago. Ran great for about 30 minutes than it quit. Would start and rev high in neutral. As soon as I put it in geat it died.

Got it back to dealer and they discovered they had not put oil in lower unit. Gears fried. Was their fault so I got a new engine.

A long shot for your engine, but it sounds so similar I had to post.

Good luck, let us know what the fix is.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I ended up taking it to the repair shop up the street just in case I ended up having a lot of gas pumping to do. I am very suspicious of the old fuel having separated even though I treated it repeatedly.. Cant believe it is the lower unit oil as suggested above.. It would have had to have leaked out over the winter.. I guess a possibility but there are no signs of it..
The unit was not supposed to have been taken off or drained before layup since I had just had it off to replace water pump as a PM item.
Will advise next week what the outcome is