New style cockpit drains

bcoco

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know there are discussions out there for this, but i am going to replace the drains and hoses on my 2000 226. the old drains go thru the floor with nut on bottom. new style, which i bought, looks like plastic elbow mounts underneath floor and the stainless grate, insert, goes from the top and holds the elbow in place. Question is do you put any sealer in either the bottom elbow to the floor, or on the stainless insert where it meets the top of the floor.
thanks for your input, new to me grady bought end of last season.
bob

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, I just replaced my floor drains on my 228 with the stainless ones. I used 4200 on the bottom and the top and they are solid with no leaks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just some sealant around the top is all that is really "needed", but it certainly can't hurt to add it to both places. Just use a sealant, though, you don't really need anything "adhesive" here since it's a mechanical connection. Using an adhesive only makes removal harder down the road - it does't "seal" any better.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the old hose is stuck on the brass thru hull fitting, use a dremel with a round blade (carefully) to cut the hose off the fitting. Make sure you really pay attention as not to damage the thru hull fitting, it worked great.

bcoco

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the info, was thinking of putting a little 4200 on there just for good measures. figured it couldn't hurt and hopefully will be the last replacements.

Reactions: Ryhlick

bcoco

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
ok, then just the same sealant that is used on the hatches.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Epoxy type sealants on this job would only be necessary on the drain cut out itself, not the fittings. And what I mean by that is use it as a core filler after de-coring the cutout. I’m assuming that deck is balsa cored and if it wasn’t sealed properly it is subject to get wet if it hasn’t already. If I went thru the trouble to replace those drains or scuppers I would go the extra step to de core the cut out and fill it with a thickened epoxy first. Once that is hardened then proceed as stated by some above. You would only need a silicone sealant or boat life product on the underside of the top flange.

bcoco

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
thanks for all your input.