New Trailer

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Guys, said goodbye to the galvanized trailer and ordered this trailer about two weeks ago. I had a made at a custom trailer shop here locally. They were along the same lines as most compettive trailer companies as far as price. They built this for my boat, added a few extra spanners to firm up the fender guards. Used heavier ibeams, tortion axels, brakes on the front axel only (boat weight 6000 lbs). They used all stainless hardware, sealed bearings and used slick guides on the bunks. Dropped the boat on the trailer and made sure it fit perfect. Pulled out to pressure wash the hull and was amazed at the ride compared to the old leaf springs rig I had.Also love the slick bunks made on and off loading as simple as it gets. Came with 5 year warrenty on everything.

image-34.jpg

image-35.jpg

image-36.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's a nice looking trailer. I like that they used aluminum for rear bunk supports instead of scabbed together 2x's. Nice touch and a little lighter, too. You might think about adding slicks on the front bunks, too. They get hit pretty hard since they're not as far in the water. It's an easy add-on, though - I put some on mine and it was the kind that not only sat on top, but wrapped around the side, too. That way the screws are on the side, away from the hull. They're meant for 2x6 bunks like you have (rip the carpet off, though).

Can I ask why you didn't get brakes on both axles? A trailer of that capacity should really have brakes all around and in many states it's even required by law.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I asked them about the laws in Tx and they said it wasnt a problem...as for the brakes, they said thats would be fine..both would be a bit much but they would do it if I wanted to, the extra costs add up as well. My old trailer didnt even have breaks, I tow with a 2500 Diesel so its a pretty big rig with lots of break power. I never had a issue with the old trailer with no brakes. I like the idea of having slicks on the front bunks. I may go that route next year...for now they work. I had them add the two extra spanners so I could stand on the fender guards, I was tired of people stepping on them and bending them.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think someone is pulling the wool over your eyes in regards to the brakes. I personally have a 2500 diesel and couple different boats (that I own) that I pull around regularly (up to about 10K). I also work in the marine industry (for about 25 years) and I pull boats with all sorts of combinations from 1/2 tons to 1 tons and all sorts of boats up to about 15K. I'm only mentioning this as a word of caution from experience... you should really consider adding the second brakes. Under normal circumstances it's fine - but when you really need to them, you want as much help as possible. But, I digress... :D

But, hey, back to your nice, new trailer! For future reference, the slicks I used are made by Tie Down engineering. Also, it looks like they forgot to put the cap on the winch stand - you don't want to end up with standing water in there.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Also looks like they didn't put caps on the PVC pipes. Other than that, it looks like a nice trailer.

I too, concur on the second set of brakes though. It's cheap insurance.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Nice looking trailer, I have a similar looking trailer made by Ace trailers in Fl ( to my specs). I like the way they fixed the fenders on the I beams, mine are fixed front and back like yours but not with a crossbeam and the beam twists a little when you stand on it.
I have front bunk slides on mine as well but I use these white ones http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html, they are the best slides you can get, white so they don't mark your gelcoat and they come pre drilled and include the S/S fixing screws.I bought extra to replace the black ones at the rear but haven't got around to it yet .
I drive the boat on and off, takes 30 seconds on the ramp, moat people use rollers here but these are slippery like rollers.
I'm with Dennis on the brakes though, it doesn't matter what you tow with brakes are always handy, I have Kodiak S/S on all four and hydrastar actuator. here in Australia you must have this set up otherwise not legal.
I would install a cap on the winchpost and another support at the front of the post higher up, I have seen these break. I also have a chain from the eye to the trailer.
I would fix the rear bunks on the brackets with a second bolt lower as well, that stops the brackets spreading and bending due to the angle on the top of the bunk.