SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Lt.Mike said:
SkunkBoat said:
I hear you when you lament about there not being any boat salvage yards or shops in NJ.
I get the feeling that with boats there isn’t the interest in restoring older boats like you see with automobiles. The boating public as a whole see boats as disposable to be run into the ground and replaced.
Most owners don’t do their own work and there’s no savings in used parts when they have to pay labor charges. I’d guess it’s also a time issue and in that time most would rather be on the water than working on the boat. I get that but I actually enjoy and take pride in working on my boat.
I don’t have the deepest pockets either so while a lot can do it I’d rather not get in the habit of throwing money at the problem . :wink:

There's a place in Ft Lauderdale...Sailorman, I think?....made many a run to it looking for used parts for my brother's Aquasport. We need a place like that in Ocean County.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Pics are worth a thousand words right?
I took this shot as the carport was being built. I was careful in my measurements and placement so that I could get a 24' wide X 26' deep structure behind my existing barn without altering the view from the house at all. The roof line is about 6" below that of he barn.
25272611747_98aa4ab36f_b.jpg

That build in progress pic was taken last March. Its the only shot I could find showing the barn in the same pic.
These are recent photos I took from my deck after the last light snow we had.
You'd never know there was a big carport back there would you?
28364198179_902d0a2953_b.jpg

39245376045_c74a4f1190_b.jpg

I promised my wife I wouldn't ruin our view of the woods. :wink:
Mike.
PS- that junk you see behind the carport in the first shot belongs to my neighbor, not much I can do about that.
At least when things green up in the spring I cant see it. I planted pines along the border to block it out year round but they are taking their sweet time growing.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I noticed you are on a roller trailer. You could go bunk trailer and that will drop your height down some to give you more hardtop clearance above the boat. My friend went from roller to bunk on his '88 Seafarer and it definitely brought his overall height down lower. Just a thought.

I live in a subdivision with HOA restrictions, so unless I build a $30K+ garage to match my house, mine lives in town in a warehouse.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Ky Grady said:
I noticed you are on a roller trailer. You could go bunk trailer and that will drop your height down some to give you more hardtop clearance above the boat. My friend went from roller to bunk on his '88 Seafarer and it definitely brought his overall height down lower. Just a thought.

I live in a subdivision with HOA restrictions, so unless I build a $30K+ garage to match my house, mine lives in town in a warehouse.
The trailer idea is a good one. I’ve had bunk trailers before this and I like them better or at least better than this old roller. I find it easier to center the boat on bunks and of course there’s no rollers to loose and gouge the gelcoat. Just wish I could afford it right now.

I’ve done many seasons with a tarp over the boat and having to brush snow off as it fell. It’s a PITA. Prior to the carport for two years it spent the winters in a friends polebarn which is good as it can be.
I also wanted to get my camper out of the elements.
I cashed in some of my deferred comp and shelled out $4,000 for that Carolina carport. It has a vertical drop roof, full sides, hurricane anchors and the heaviest gauge framing for the highest snow load / wind rating.24’x26’ in all.
I had a triaxle dump truck load of clay delivered which I leveled out and rolled as hard and flat as a pool table. That also raised the base a couple inches above the area around so no water would puddle under insuring the parking area would be dry.
Over that I spread 4 tons of stone dust. Around the carport is another 6 tons of blue stone. Clay and stone added another $450 to total cost.
I spread the clay and stone myself but Carolina Carports delivered and built the structure in one day.
They make a great product but there’s one complaint shared by nearly every customer, they take months to actually arrive and put it up after you give your deposit.
I ordered in September and didn’t get it put up till March. The wait will piss you off but once it’s up you’ll be happy with it. Winter weather is the biggest reason for a delay so my advice would be to order late winter/ early spring. In about 2-3 months they’ll show up.
My carport has open ends and a stone base to maintain its carport / temporary structure status. It’s also centered between property lines and some 500’ back from the road. That keeps it from any code issues.
Carolina CP would probably put it up 2’ from a property line or a road if you said too. It’s up to you to know what your town will allow.
It’s much better than a tent shed or tarp and provides nice dry storage.
You can get them in pretty much any color to match your home. I’ve heard about HOA issues :roll: maybe with a bottle of Johnny Walker to the right guy you can get approval. :wink:
Mike