"Propping" my Sailfish

wtpgc

Reaction score
Boat is a 1988 Sailfish 252G with 2002 Mercury EFI 200 HP Engines

So I know that this boat and these engines are not known for their fuel efficiency, but I'd like to try and do better if possible. Current props are Mercury Mirage 17 pitch stainless steel 3 blade, about 15.5" diameter. Any advice or experience regarding how a prop change might positively impact my fuel mileage without sacrificing the ability of the boat to perform well? Right now, I'm getting about 1.0 MPG (+/- 0.1 MPG). If nothing can be done to improve this, I'm OK with it. But over time, the cost of a prop change could more than pay for the cost in fuel if better fuel mileage could be achieved. Some increased range would also be appreciated. :lol: So let me know any recommendations or considerations. Thanks!

TenKutas

Reaction score
Those 17’s are great for the Holeshot and heavy loads ,19’s will get a little more top end. I think you should be seeing more like 1.5-2 out of your rig. Have you tried raising your motors one hole at a time ....

They on a bracket or transom ?

wtpgc

Reaction score
TenKutas said:
Those 17’s are great for the Holeshot and heavy loads ,19’s will get a little more top end. I think you should be seeing more like 1.5-2 out of your rig. Have you tried raising your motors one hole at a time ....

They on a bracket or transom ?
Motors are on the original factory bracket. Since this is a deep(er) water boat, the hole shot is of less concern to me. But at the same time, I'm also not interested overly concerned with increasing top end. I've not changed the position of the motors, as the cavitation plate lines up perfectly with the cav plate on the bracket.

I changed the prop on my flats boat, increased by one degree and decreased the cupping, and my fuel mileage nearly doubled. This is because I could obtain cruise speed at much lower RPMs. Not expecting the same thing here LOL

fellinger

Reaction score
I have a 272 with twin 200 Johnsons. I get about the same, maybe less MPG as you. It was suggested to me to change props (sorry I don't recall what I have) to Rebel props. All I was looking for was .5mpg increase. I lost .5mpg! I am going to check the holes and possibly raise the motors to see if that helps.