Pumping gas out of a fuel tank

DaveHNL

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
DaveHNL said:
DennisG01 said:
Obviously, you know your situation better than me, but to add another "nudge" towards saving some money...

1) Can you put the boat on the trailer and take it to him to have the injectors removed?
2) Can you remove the injectors yourself? On my engine, I think I had all 6 pulled in about a half hour.

In checking prices on injectors for my engine (Yamaha brand, but online/discounted), they come in at $225/piece. That starts to add up pretty quickly! Although, I seem to recall that these injectors might be the same as those used in some GM applications. But I don't know much more than that, or how reliable the sources are that gave me that info.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Yes, I could put the boat on a trailer, but that would take half a day to do.
Yes, I could remove the injectors myself and take them to a place to have them serviced but that would take 3 or 4 hours.
Injectors are only ~$104 each, to me, it's not worth the trouble - the mechanic will be replacing the balancer and servicing the VST, I rather let him be out in the hot sun wrenching on my motor.

OK, no worries. On the flip side, you are doing your job to support your local economy! :mrgreen:

Before you go too crazy with servicing things, you might want to run the engine on a portable tank. It's a quick and easy "diagnosing tool" that eliminates the fuel tank and it's lines from the list of variables. If you can then run into your proper WOT range, you know the issue is from there back. If you still have an problem with WOT, then the issue is from there forward.

Just checking, but... The boat hull is clean? Running gear in good condition? Proper sized prop on there? Trimming up properly?

Already ran the engine on a brand new portable fuel tank with fresh gas, the boat has new bottom paint with zero growth on the hull, the prop is brand new per Grady White specs.

DaveHNL

Reaction score
Clockwork said:
best bet is to remove the sending unit. you'll be hard pressed to fish a hose down through the filler because it takes a hard 90 degree turn and the hose will likely kink even if you can get it down there. also you cant siphon from your pickups because they have an anti siphon valve although on most you could remove it and replace with a standard fitting temporarily.

Thanks, good to know for the future.

Already pumped the gas out through the fuel line from the tank using a fuel pump.