Raritan Bay report

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Got out Wed after the boat splashed and lines were tied for the first trip of the season. Started out blackfishing in the bay and managed 4 keepers all around 5lb fish. After the tide died out we switched to striper fishing and managed 5 keepers among a bunch of shorts. All fish were caught trolling stretch 25's along the reach channel. Silver with black back and chartreuse with blue back were the 2 hot colors. Silver was best when the sun was out and chartruese when the clouds moved in. Plenty of meat for the 3 of us onboard and a decent start to the season.

Thurs April 30 we got out again and started off clamming in the back bay, made 4 drops and only mananged a few shorts and 1 keeper on the incoming. As the tide changed we went on the troll to avoid fishing the wind against tide, pulled stretch 25's again. Had a short spurt of 3 keepers and few shorts on the keyport flats, then moved to the back bay along the reach to catch over 25 more fish in 24ft of water. We were able to limit the boat out with fish to 21lbs and play catch and release for a while before heading in. Had the spot all to ourselves for over 2 hours before calling 2 buddies in to get in on the bite before the tide fell out. Looks like the outgoing has been the ticket so far from our experience both days and the reports I've gotten from some other buddies who have been out the past few days. Will be out again whenever the weather breaks. Only had 4 blues between both days, blues were all in 15ft or less of water, so avoid the shallower water, get inot the 20's and you will find the bass.

my retreat

Reaction score
Striper fishing

gradyfish22, Striper fishing has been red hot over the last two weeks. Average catches for a few hours fishing averaging 15 to 20 fish. No big cows yet. Going to start working the ocean jigging & live bunker for bigger fish. Unfortunately the blues have been hammering the live bunker.

Howard

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishing has been good, some days better then others, but my numbers have been very good over all. No big fish yet, going to hit some haunts to the north with bunker tommorrow looking for big fish, will let you know how I do. I heard a few reports from the ocean, but few, water is still a bit chilly on the ocean side. Boats from pt. have been jigging, very few bass, but bigger ones when they do catch one or two, mostly blues, big bass will be just behind them. Bigger bass are showing in the bay, got report of a few 25-35lb fish, going to hit those spots hard tommorrow and see if they are true or not.