Rate this deal**MY BOAT SEARCH THREAD**

Bama96

Reaction score
2004 Sailfish 282 with trailer, Yamaha F225s, 800hrs. Furuno radar, auto pilot and bottom machine. Warranty on the motors till 2011. $60K

SlimJim

Reaction score
some would say the hours are high. I don't think so, but you can get a better deal on a 300 Marlin. That being said, I bet the true value of that boat in todays market is 45k to 50k. I think this winter or even next year there will be better deals to be had. But if you don't want to wait and found your boat cut the deal.

SlimJim

Reaction score
I did not see that it had a trailer, soits worth more then what I said.

Bill_N

Reaction score
One owner? Does it have all service records? If so, it seems like a pretty good price to me.

Bama96

Reaction score
One owner and he says he has all records. Has a cover and outriggers including a center as well. Had found an 05' with 400 hrs for $70K but can't justify another 10K for a one year newer boat with a fold down transom seat and teak cabin floors. This 04' books out at 60 on NADA low retail with no options.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Too high, what was the selling price new and when do you figure the half way point price occurs, in how many years?

Some Gradys, like the 20 footer cabin with a very high resale reach the 50% point in about 7 yrs or longer, that's in good times.

How about in these times?

The 2004 Sailfish is 5 yrs old this season.
Electronics are of negligible value in 5 yrs.
800 hrs is more than average hrs for 5 yr old motors.
What is condition overall of boat, so-so or bristol?

Bill_N

Reaction score
Despite the fact that there have been a few outrageous prices posted lately it's very hard to find a deal like that when you're ready to buy. I spent 5 months last year looking at 265's and 282's before we bought our '02 265 in May. Try to find the boat you want with the engines, hours and options you want in great condition. After looking at probably 20 boats I would say that most owners are not as good on maintenance as I am or most here are. If you find the boat you want expect to pay a decent price for it.

If it were me I might try to baragin on the '05. 800 hrs may not be that high but 1000 is right around the corner

Bama96

Reaction score
I was looking at 6 years of use about 150 hrs a year. Not really that outrageous. The guy with the 05' is hell bent on getting 75K. Tried him yesterday and used this boat as leverage. Offered him $68K and he said no.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I was referring to the post in the classifieds. Almost seems like BS to me.

FWIW, I paid close to 70k last year for my '02 265 with F225's but it was a one owner boat, had 250 hrs, all the options I wanted and a trailer.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This time in many people's life, at least as far back as one can remember or been alive, where the marine industry has been so devastated - Grady Whites are not exempt from it.

Devastated. Is that spelled right? Doesn't look it.

The reason boats are not selling is because they are not priced to sell, same reason a house doesn't sell, it has to be priced to sell.
Houses priced to sell, sell.

Secondly, asking price is not selling price, even more of a disparity now.

So the question remains, why would you pay the same as if times were flush? It's because neither buyer nor seller have a clue, and the seller doesn't want to realize the high resale price Gradys have been known for, traditionally, no longer applies. That is , until further notice.

I know several people who are in the market for their next bigger boat (what else is new?), but they don't want to let their current boat go at such a low price.
See the problem? So their boat doesn't sell
- they rather the bank take it that agree to such a low asking price.

If I had a choice of 20 different boats to make offers on, you know the person who sells me the boat will not be the guys above.

So what was the 2004 Sailfish selling for new (contract sales price when new)?

It's time for sellers to suck it up and let it go, and look forward to te same deal when they buy.

Renovator

Reaction score
Bama96,

Seems like a fair deal to me. I purchased an '05 282 in Oct. of '08 with 200 hrs. and an excellent electronics package. All of the fishing goodies I wanted, F225's, and a well maintained boat to boot. I had it surveyed and the broker had to repair a few items the owner was not aware of that were not working properly. I paid 85k and was very happy with the deal. Hindsight and the economy being what it is, perhaps I should have waited another 6 months. But, I had been looking for nearly 9 months and was ready to move up.

I do occasionally look on boat trader, etc. to see what the market is doing but you know what, I'm still happy with my purchase. I've put nearly 160 hrs. on her since and have had some great trips. My advice is if she checks out well, budget is good for purchase, than go for it. You can't catch'em from the dock.

BTW, I have a great Shamrock 246WA for sale, trust me it is not a sellers market.
Ron

Z4J

Reaction score
SlimJim said:
You can get a better deal on a 300 Marlin.

I posted on the for sale forum that my friend just made quite a good deal on a new GW28
and that I was dealing on a new 30 from the same Grady dealer.
A poster suggested I take a look at some other sale sites for used Gradys.
I was amazed at how many GW30's are for sale, other grady models too.

I contacted some sellers and found the 50% depreciation to be 2006 models from sellers who really want to sell (have to sell).

Many very aggressive sellers are willing to make all kinds of deals.
It gets very confusing when you have 8 or 10 boats to choose from
and sellers keep emailing you with a new deal, "please buy my boat".

It really makes you feel bad to hear their sad stories
same as housing, owners way over their head

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bill, N, the 265 is different deal, few of them around relative to Sailfish. How many of a particular model for sale at the time vs. number of buyers, makes a big difference too. These are fundamental rules.
How long the boats stay on the market is the key, to knowing how many buyers are around. You just have to watch and make calls.

Price trailers seperately, since you can get a trailer from another party.
Has nothing to do with motor/hull pricing.

I think most people don't want to do research, they just want to buy and get it over with. So you get what you get, good deal or not. Then believe you did good.

Boats 5 yrs old - condition effects the price tremendously- how's the condition of seats and cushions, was gunnel used to cut bait, cabin smell of beer or pee?

I looked at boats less than 5 yrs old, at any price didn't want them. Only overpay for best condition, the onlyt time it pays doing it.

I recall a Grady salesman saying the items I found were "negotiable' on the price (no kidding). Key point, items "I" found.

Bama96

Reaction score
I have looked for the past 3 months and there are no "steals" on Grady Whites. They are some that are way high and some reasonable. I guess you get what you pay for. Bob you seem well informed help me find a better deal. I have worn out boattrader.com boats.com oodle.com every search engine imaginable. Just can't find that unbelievable deal everyeone says is to be had. This 04' has very clean cushions and shiny finish. That is from pictures. I guess the in person inspection will determine how clean she is. Tuff to drive 8 hours and find that it is not as adverstised but I guess that is the price you pay to get a used boat in great condition.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ah, the realization of what's really out there in the marketplace. I am not really surprised that you have had difficulty finding that 'steal deal'. And Bob has a point, people will hang on to their boat until the bank takes it back and then someone picks up that boat and puts it back on the market for the same price the original seller had it at. I guess what I'm saying, is that unless you can get some kind of 'inside deal' or a position to buy at wholesale like a dealer might, you have to deal with retail sellers or re-sellers.

Personally I think you've found two great boats that are both good values. Condition is everything as you know, and you're right, you'll probably drive 8 hours and find some disappointments. 800 hours doesn't seem like a lot of hours for motors that are supposed to last 2000, but still, that's a LOT of use. My boat is 3 years old this year, gets 'lots' of use, but has 270 hours on the motor. And the boat overall still looks like brand new. It sits on a trailer, with a cover on it, and it's a smaller boat so much easer to keep looking new. What I'm trying to say, is that you're going to find that an 800-hour boat is not going to look like new.

For me, I would gladly give a few more thousand for a year newer and half the hours. Even then I would be looking at overall condition as a gauge of desirability. If it's just about the bottom line, then by all means go with the one the seller is willing to sell for the least amount of money.

There are still some boats selling. I've been surprised at how many new members are here on the forum this year - really surprised. And guys buying brand new boats. I correspond on several other forums, for cars, trucks, RV's etc. and it's amazing the amount of activity. So there are buyers out there, just finding the right price point as has been mentioned. But as you've found, many sellers are just not willing to budge, so you have to either wait for them to soften, or for another seller to come along. I have always found it more beneficial to negotiate the price AFTER you do a thorough inspection, demonstrate to the seller you're a serious buyer, and negotiate the price based on your market research and dificiencies you find in the vessel.

Hope this gives you a little different perspective. I wish I was in a position to pick up one of those boats. Wifey lost her job a couple of weeks ago so we're just trying to hang on to what we've got. We're good for into next year, but if things don't get going again we'll be selling off our toys as well.

Bill_N

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
I have looked for the past 3 months and there are no "steals" on Grady Whites. They are some that are way high and some reasonable. I guess you get what you pay for. Bob you seem well informed help me find a better deal. I have worn out boattrader.com boats.com oodle.com every search engine imaginable. Just can't find that unbelievable deal everyeone says is to be had. This 04' has very clean cushions and shiny finish. That is from pictures. I guess the in person inspection will determine how clean she is. Tuff to drive 8 hours and find that it is not as adverstised but I guess that is the price you pay to get a used boat in great condition.

This is exactly what I found last year. I would've bought a 282 if I could've found one in great condition with 4 strokes for the same money. Wife liked the cabin better on that boat but the wrap-around seating and fuel capacity was what I wanted.

We drove all over New England looking at boats for 5 months. Wife was ready to shoot me by May. Can't tell you how many times we drove 2-3 hours and as soon as I saw the boat I felt like leaving.

If the boat is super clean and has 4 strokes and good options it won't be a steal.

Bama96

Reaction score
Just called on an 02' only 280hrs. No warranty, no trailer, no auto pilot, no radar. Asking $59K. I offered $48K no go. New trailer is $5k. NEXT.