Raw water washdown pump prime?

fishbust

Reaction score
Having an issue with prime with this pump.

I anchor in a muddy bottom, the chain and anchor comes up caked with black mud. Trying to hose it down as the rode comes in, the water pump surges on and off, very annoying and renders the pump useless for what I need it for in the first place. It is a factory install.

Anyone else having this issue and found a remedy? The only time I have seen this is on another boat when rocking back and forth, which is understandable and is normal. The grady washdown is doing it in calm water. Once in a while it works as it should but few and far between, totally random, not reliable at all.

Slacktime

Reaction score
If the water pump is old and original, it may be time to replace it. Also look at the strainer - may be clogged. I replaced my original after 11 years when it quit working. These pumps are only designed for intermittent use. The motors will burn out if run continuously.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Sometimes the pressure switch on the pumps go bad or don't function properly. Not sure if your pump has one or not usually you'll see the incoming wire go into the switch, come out and then go directly into the pump.

If it has one, you can simply try bypassing it and see if that fixes your problem. Otherwise like mentioned before, check your thru-hull strainer, or it the pump might just be worn out.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My pump also has a fine stainless steel screen just ahead of the intake at the pump itself. It is designed to get small stuff out of the water. Check that too if you have one. Since Grady does not make the pump and uses various brands it is not the boat but the pump is the issue. I have a sure Flo master blaster or something like that and it works well. We keep our boat on a lake with a red clay bottom and when that stuff gets on the deck our wash down takes care of it.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Would recommend disconnecting the hose that is leading to your pump and force some water backwards to backflush the line and see if anything is clogging it. If not, then time for a new pump. Make sure seacock is fully operational as well. I had one that the handle would turn, but the ball was not turning with it. It had corroded internally to the point where it was not working! This will require some work to remove hose from fitting to see how it works. Also, while in there, lube it up is a good idea.

I replaced mine last year with a Shurflo ProBlaster and could be happier. Lots of pressure. I also am now running two pumps from the same seacock, one with Shurflo livewell pump that used to serve dual duty as washdown and blaster,but got tired of the 3 way valve switching so tee'd them off and installed the Pro Blaster. That was one great upgrade for my setup!