Raymarine Autopilot / Help Needed

Spawn Bag

Reaction score
Looking to have an autopilot installed on my 226. Was looking at the Raymarine Evolution Autopilot system. At 1st Raymarine suggested the T70157 which has a Type 1 hydraulic pump however suggested that I contact them with the serial number off of my Sea Star steering system before purchasing. Well, today I called them with the number and he said I could "get away" with T70154 which has a type .05 pump. This kit is approximately $1300 cheaper. I explained that I didn't want to sacrifice performance for a savings and again he said I wouldn't really notice a difference....Actually he said "I wouldn't notice a $1300 difference".

Anyone have any experience with either of these two systems. I troll on the Great Lakes for salmon and steelhead. Typically we troll at 2.2-2.8 mph and at times have to do this in a 2-4 foot slop. I do understand that autopilots aren't relay meant for trolling and operate better at higher speeds which is why I'm trying to find the best match. I also understand that autopilots may not keep a heading in certain conditions (wave, wind, etc.) Not sure if this is important but I plan to install the autopilot to work the main engine and have that connected to a kicker with a linkage bar when trolling.

Here are some of the specs on the 2 different pumps....

Max pressure at stall - BOTH pumps 750psi
Peak flow rate (no load) - BOTH pumps 1000cc/min
Ram Capacity (this is where they differ)... Type 1 Pump - 80cc - 230cc and the Type .05 (smaller pump) - 50cc - 110cc

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Big purchase and would love to do it once if you know what I mean. I'm most certain Raymarine wont take back an installed autopilot if it doesn't perform to my expectations even if exchanging for another unit.

Thanks again