Re Engine Sailfish 25

Jeremy Fisher

Reaction score
I have a 1987 Sailfish with twin 1987 Yamaha's 150 which I have been quoted $7,500 to put into good working order - I am considering replacing them with newer engines but don't want to spend a huge amount of money as it is still an old boat. When in Canada last year I saw a similar boat with a single 250 HP engine with a kicker - is this a viable option and if I did this should I have a 30" shaft as it will be center mounted rather than 25" shafts for the twin engine options - any advice would be welcome plus any offers for sale of replacement engines. I am reluctant to spend the $7,500 as they would still be 1987 engines. I also understand that there could be a weight issue if I switch to a higher horsepower engine - please comment also on this potential issue - Eric

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Take it from me if you put 7500 dollars into those old motors you will regret it. Especially if they have been in the salt. I'd find a pair of newer 4 strokes or a big single 30" 300 HP or better. There is no end to the crap that can continue to screw up your weekends on 1987 motors.

There are quite a few good motors on The Hull Truth.

Clockwork

Reaction score
single 250? absolutely not. what you saw must have been a 24 offshore or maybe a 23 gulfstream. 150s are a good setup for this boat but I wouldn't go any smaller. this boat requires twins and I don't think a single 300 would do very well either, this is a big wide tub and requires a lot of thrust.

those yami 150s from that era are great motors so while id absolutely choose a couple new Honda or Yamaha 150 4 strokes, that will run you bout $30k. depends on a few things: if you love the boat and its in good enough shape to be worth the repower id throw on 4 strokes.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I would be curious so what the dealer is going to do for $7500 for those motors. If they turn over and have good compression there is not too much to them, a ton of info here and THT on the yamaha's to get them running great. Clean out the carbs, replace the gas lines from the tank (no matter if you keep these motors or not) and clean the carbs out nice and they should run great. The water pump in the lower unit is easy, and the only other thing they are known for is the shift shaft rusting and causing problems. They normally have to pull the powerhead to replace it (maybe why they quoted you so high), but I saw a system a while ago that would not require that. Here is the link www.shiftshaft.com

For around $7500 or even less you might be able to find a nice pair of OX66 takeoffs too

Good luck