Read this if you have at least 100 posts:)

seasick

Reaction score
I know I am getting older and probably a bit(maybe a lot) grumpier but have you noticed that the overall quality of posts has lowered to the level of other 'general' boating forums (not mentioning any specific names!)?
Seriously, I used to enjoy the posts and the challenging info and responses but recently there are so many useless (to me) posts that I am becomming reluctant to read the board.
In my opinion..
I don't care what you name your boat.
I don't care what color you painted your boat.
I won't tell you specifications that you should already know ( beam width, trailer size, etc).
If you bought a boat, don't ask if you did the right thing! Ask before you buy.
If you have to refer to the starboard engine as the "left motor, facing the stern" you should be posting on a different web site.

There are many more examples of inane questions but I guess I should just shut up.
I do wish the best to new GW owners but seriously, if you are new to Grady's , get a owner's and service manual, read up, and do some research fist.

"My motor won't start, what do you think it is?"
Geeze....

I am ready for the flack:)

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
No flack.

I've been here 8-1/2 years, and know what you are referring to.

I still read a lot. Don't contribute as much.

Brian

zimm

Reaction score
There's not enough traffic on this forum to begin with. I have to head over to THT just to keep myself busy. By the way, on THT, Grady's have a pretty rotten reputation (pun intended). I have learned some grady specific stuff like upgrading to SS cupholders and cabin door lid latches. Other than the Grady FAQ, that's about it as far what I've gotten from this forum. But since I'm still a proud Grady owner for the last 5 months, I still click on "new posts" to see what's going on.

Other topics I'm tired of reading about:
-My scuppers are under water
-Transom rot?
-Grady's still use wood?

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Your only going to get so much traffic on this site being so specific...

Plus, GW Owners as a rule have allot going on as in "success". Meaning keeping plates spinning to afford such a nice boat.

THT and others are good, but of you want to talk GW this bunch here will and CAN help a brother out.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I haven't been around here long but really enjoy this site.

I like the "transom posts" because I expect to have to put a third transom in my 1994 Sailfish someday.

I wish we had a projects section like this:

http://www.classicmako.com/projects.htm

to help with some of the major restorations.

seasick

Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
I haven't been around here long but really enjoy this site.

I like the "transom posts" because I expect to have to put a third transom in my 1994 Sailfish someday.

I wish we had a projects section like this:

http://www.classicmako.com/projects.htm

to help with some of the major restorations.

That is an example of useful information based on experience. I enjoy and learn from threads like you mentioned. It's the other stuff I mentioned that is my problem. I have been active on this forum for several years but lately it looks more and more like THT. There can be useful info on that site but there is a lot of chaff and often bad or incorrect advice, sometimes dangerous.

Of course you should always be aware that not everything you read is necessarly true or good advice but the GW forums historically have had a lot less bad advice than other sites.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
seasick said:
If you have to refer to the starboard engine as the "left motor, facing the stern" you should be posting on a different web site.

Now I'm really confused. Are you in the boat or outside the boat? For the sake of clarity, I simply refer to my motors as "this one and that one."

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
grumpyoldman.gif

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I find it interesting when someone posts that they got a new boat. I like to read the posts on here and see what others are up to. When someone posts what they bought they are proud and excited. If that person doesn't know the appropriate sides of the boat let them learn from here. When we bought our boat we were proud. I sold our old boat a Boston Whaler to someone from the site Whaler Central. After selling that boat the admin. removed me as a member because I no longer owned a whaler. When I found this site I was excited to see another place to join as a member.

I say post what you want as long as it has to do with Grady White's and boating. I will close with a post that was put up by a member who showed us he was getting ready for the season. A simple post with a picture of his coolers and bumpers all cleaned up and ready to go. I learned in that simple post what he uses to clean his bumpers. I still use his method now. Keep the posts coming we can decide what we want to read.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I dont care really what people post, we are all here to learn...if you know it all then maybe move on but dont knock on others that are just getting started. I have learned a ton on here and I enjoy reading almost every post. Granted I dont post everything or comment on everything but its still fun to see what others are doing, including modifications and new stuff. I would hope your post dosnt discourage people from learning...my 2 cents for what its worth

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Seasick,
So what color is your boat? just wondering, I could not help it brother. LOL.

Hey man, it is all good. I agree with you and I disagree with you at the same. Say what you will about the forum, not everyone is an old salt and frankly if they are new to boating and get starboard and port confused then in my opinion the folks here will be nice about it. I found this forum to be ubber nice where folks dont make others feel like idiots and egos dont get in the way.

THT and other boating forum are filled with rude, inconsiderate jerks to be frank about it. Rarely is an unkind word or piece of advice given here and that my friend is gold in the internet realm. Many years ago I bought my first and it was a Grady White. I welcome new folks and like to read about their joy of their new Grady's. With that said, I like to come here mainly because people are nice. Maybe I can learn something and maybe I can help somebody. I suspect your boating knowledge is superior to my own and perhaps rarely do you learn anything from me, but that is cool.

In the end, I would suggest simply skipping the threads on boat color or what kind of music folks play while heading out, which by the way was one of my all time favorite threads here a year ago spring.

Anyway, for those who forget about port and starboard, my dad who was a Naval officer taught me this when I learned how to paddle a canoe at the ripe old age of 9, starboard is green and is on the right and port is left and red like a good bottle of port wine...then my dad shared with a bottle of wine as we paddled downed the Wekiva River together. And when the wine was gone he popped open a six pack of PBR and we chugged that too and smoked cigerettes together...good times by all :lol: He also shared with me red right returning...then again I was 9 and had no clue about that in a canoe...

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick :sorry If every post meets your criteria there will be about a post a month.
I enjoy this site and visit often but don't contribuite much. If I can help someone no matter how miniscule it may seem I will.
I hate that you would feel as strongly about such post as you do.
I just pass over the post I don't want to read.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are 4 things that make a motor work: spark, fuel, compression, and air. If you are missing one she won't run.

seasick

Reaction score
Folks,
I am less grumpy tonight and appreciate your feedback. Just ignore the evil side of me and enjoy the good side:)

With regard to the comment that if we didn't have all the posts I referred to there would probably be only one post a month, I disagree. I am fairly certain there would be at least two:
My gas gauge always reads full or doesn't move and
my main oil tank on my OX doesn't fill:)

Be safe this holiday!

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I tend to visit this site on a regular basis, but only post occasionally. I have gotten tons of information from this site since I first visited.

I find a few of the websites I visit regularly are slower than normal (boating, fishing and photography). Not sure if this is due to lack of interest or Facebook taking over?

I'll try not to ask what to name my next boat or what to name my pet or even grandchildren when and if my kids have them in the distant future...

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grady_Crazy said:
There are 4 things that make a motor work: spark, fuel, compression, and air. If you are missing one she won't run.

Isn't "fuel" considered the mixture of gas and air? Need only three! Oops, started another thread... :sorry

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grouper Duper said:
Grady_Crazy said:

Isn't "fuel" considered the mixture of gas and air? Need only three! Oops, started another thread... :sorry

I guess you are correct, outboards don't have air filters.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
For something to burn or combust you need, fuel, heat and oxygen. Fuel and oxygen are technically two components even though they are mixed inside the combustion chamber as one.

Gary M

Reaction score
Perhaps some people ought to consider starting up their own web site with strict posting rules.......

I just tend to skip past threads that don't interest me. Sort of like a long buffet line...... I hand pick only those things that I enjoy. Simple!