Recomendations for recovering cockpit bolters and pads in MA or RI

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I am looking for any names for recovering the two bolster pads and the four related pads that go around the cockpit on my 2004 marlin. I received a quote of 3k from a recommended marine canvas guy on the south shore of MA. I am having a hard time believing that it was a fair price. I have another quote request but waiting to here back.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A friend of mine has had really good luck with Arts in Brockton. Great quality and fair pricing. I have an '04 265 and the coming pad fabric is Seaquest Upholstery Vinyl Pleated #025 Sea White. I used a guy near Worcester but I wouldn't recommend him....

seasick

Reaction score
Get more quotes but make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Good vinyl like the Seaquest is costly and the pleated more so. If your bolsters curve around aft onto the transom area they are more labor intensive to fabricate.
Will the shop reuse the existing foam and backing? If using new foam, what kind? Closed cell foam like DryFast is very expensive. Do the bolsters and seats use piping(the roundish 'rope' look) around the seams especially where the bolster meets the backing plate up against the gunnel. Grady bolsters get screwed to the gunnel through some of the underside grommets. Will mounting holes or alternative brackets be provided?
Who is installing the bolsters and/or cushions?

Some folks just get straight generic bolster sections from places like those made by Wise available from Overtons. They work fine but don't look like the original or match lengths exactly Multiple pieces may be needed for long runs. You will have to remove the original brackets also
Here is an example
https://www.overtons.com/modperl/pr...VUBxMQl7vS5Uthpzkhi02Y6cJ1XXIc-hoCO1AQAvD_BwE

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Thank you for the responses and information. I was told he was going to reuse the foam. I am pretty sure he would do a good job since two different GW dealers recommended him. Nice people to deal with. Yes a few small pieces have curves which makes it more challenging. I have contacted another place for the quote and I will give Arts in Brockton a call. I think the supply and demand of marine fabric guys has caused some increase. I was planning to have these done four years ago and the prices have gone way up compared to the quotes then.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Also I removed them and will be putting them back on....

suzukidave

Reaction score
any local upholstery shop willing to work with vinyl can copy the pattern and stitching and reuse the foam and backing pieces. take the cushions in to a small shop and avoid any discussion of what kind of boat they are from. ask for a price breaking down materials and labour and what their material requirements would be if you supplied it. it is pretty normal for upholsterers who do furniture recovering for customers to source special fabric. you can order the sequest material off ebay if you want an exact match.

seasick

Reaction score
Also I removed them and will be putting them back on....
Sounds like you have done your homework. Let us know how it all turns out.
Good luck!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can you let me know how you make out? I'm having a new enclosure done this year and thinking of the bolsters. I agree that the initial price sounds excessive. Might just do it myself. How hard can it be - ss monel staples, decent fabric and only a couple of pieces that really need sewing.

seasick

Reaction score
Can you let me know how you make out? I'm having a new enclosure done this year and thinking of the bolsters. I agree that the initial price sounds excessive. Might just do it myself. How hard can it be - ss monel staples, decent fabric and only a couple of pieces that really need sewing.

I did this about 9 years ago. I replaced the foam, used the existing backing, used plain and pleated Seaquest vinyl , Seaquest piping and also the vented fabric on the bottom edge that the grommets are installed into. My bolsters curved around the back which meant that I had to cut and sew several pieces to make the turns.
I also bought a used industrial sewing machine. It really is a necessity if you have seams to sew.
I learned a few things; Having the original bolsters and taking them apart really helps cutting out the pieces.
The foam if new has to have the edges rounded over to get the correct shape and fit. I used closed cell foam and quickly learned why that stuff is so good at passing water. It also passes contact cement as if it weren't there. Spray adhesives work better.
For two bolsters, I used almost 1,000 staples. Since I stapled the material to the back and then stapled the piping over the edge, a lot of staples are needed. I used Monel staples too. They are harder to find and a more expensive than stainless.
You need a powered stapler, pneumatic or possible electric. Don't even thing about using a manual stapler
Your fingers will hurt for days from removing all the old staples and eventually pulling the new covers vinyl tight over the forms:)

Not counting the cost of the sewing machine, I think I spent about $300 on materials including the fairly expensive Dryfast foam but then again that was 9 years ago.
Here is a picture of the pieces that make up one bolster ( not showing the long sections.)
So, 9 years later, the bolsters are showing a bit of age, a few stains and one or two hook nicks but all in all they have held up well.
I think one key factor is that the originals as well as my replacements had the vented fabric (phiferex) on the bottom edge; that allows any moisture that gets in to drain out.

Attachments

• IMG_4719.JPG
    IMG_4719.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: JAdams1

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks for the detail. I have the originals and was planning to take off gingerly and exact copy. We'll see how the prices come back and decide if I have done or do myself.

JAdams1

Reaction score
Maybe remove the old ones and have them duplicated and reinstall yourself. I am replacing all the rusty staples on my bolsters. Bought a 22 gauge pneumatic staple gun online from home depot for $30 and some SS staples from the jetskistore. Making the covers is the part that is hard, removing and refastening is easy but takes time.

boltsers.jpgstaple gun.jpg

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
A quick update. I tried to get a quote back from a recommended Bristol RI. No quote came back. I went to Art in Brockton and was much more reasonable. I liked them and the price so I gave them the work. I will post when the work is complete. Thanks again for the recommendation.

seasick

Reaction score
Maybe remove the old ones and have them duplicated and reinstall yourself. I am replacing all the rusty staples on my bolsters. Bought a 22 gauge pneumatic staple gun online from home depot for $30 and some SS staples from the jetskistore. Making the covers is the part that is hard, removing and refastening is easy but takes time.

View attachment 5836View attachment 5837
The funny thing is that if you look at a box of Stanley stainless steel staples, it says that they are not intended for marine applications! I guess it all depends on the grade of stainless.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Use Monel staples just like wire line. Solid wire and the best for the marine environment.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Glad to hear that Art's worked out. Please post some pics of the final product and let us know about the cost.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yes. Not too far for me either. Look forward to hearing hour it worked out from a quality and cost perspective.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A quick update. I tried to get a quote back from a recommended Bristol RI. No quote came back. I went to Art in Brockton and was much more reasonable. I liked them and the price so I gave them the work. I will post when the work is complete. Thanks again for the recommendation.

I tried searching for Art's in Brocton and came up empty. Is this a store front business. Any location details?
Thanks

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Art's Auto & Marine
Auto upholsterer in Brockton, Massachusetts
736 Warren Ave, Brockton, MA

1. (508) 586-2137

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
He beat me to the punch on the information. At first I think I may have put in North Warren St in my GPS and couldn't find it. Then I googled it and used google Maps/directions on my phone. That took me right there. It is not out back and there is a sign in front of the building. Good Luck