Recommendations for replacement of AC unit (Marlin)

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Purchased a used 07' Marlin approximately 4 yrs ago. It had a 6500 btu AC unit that was a replacement of the original. It was still under warranty and had failed so I contacted the manufacturer (Mermaid). They instructed me to perform a few steps/checks to confirm prior to sending it back. They shipped me a packaging box so off it went and upon their inspection they determined that it was shot and sent me a brand new unit (free of charge). The long story short is the 6500 never felt adequate and now that replacement unit just blows air with little or no cooling effect. I see that GW uses an 8000 btu unit in the more recent offering of the Marlin. Does anyone here know who the manufacturer is of the newer units ? I don't want to go back to the same trough. Secondly one would think that 6500 btu would be more than enough to cool such a small space however if 8000 is what it takes so be it.

I did reach out to GW and awaiting a response, just checking here for any first hand experience

Thanks

athomp228

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Do you have a Dometic thermostat? If so, look up how to put the system in "test" mode. I believe its holding down the power button on thermostat while cycling power at the breaker. The system will run 10 mins of cooling, 10 mins of just fan and 10 mins of heating. If it blows cold during this process try changing the temperature sensor ($40 part on ebay) or adjusting temperature offset settings.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
FWIW, I have a 6500 BTU Mermaid in my Sailfish. It can't effectively cool the cabin in a full-sun, 90+ degree summer day. When the sun gets low enough, then the cabin gets cold.

The Mermaid has been been reliable and the company was great at responding to my questions during installation. I would buy from them again.

Rob