recommened trailer for 208

gealro

Reaction score
Hope to take ownership of a 2002 208 Adventure this week. I need a trailer and advice on which type to get. Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
gealro said:
Hope to take ownership of a 2002 208 Adventure this week. I need a trailer and advice on which type to get. Thanks.
I have a twin axle Venture VRT-4700 roller trailer and have had it for several years. The question of rollers vs bunks depends to an extent on what your launch facilities look like. In shallower waters, rollers make it a bit easier to load and unload. Bunks on the other hand, water depth aside, are in my opinion easier for one person to manage.
The boat weighs in at about 3200 with motor and the trailer will weigh in at 1000 pounds or so.
Personally, my experiences is that the Venture trailer in steel is not the best out there. I have had things break that shouldn't have at the time they broke. I rarely trailer on the streets so I can't talk about that aspect. I use my trailer to launch and haul at the season's start and end. My waters are salt and there has been some rusting. Although the frame has held up, things like leafs, u-bolts, brake drums and lug nuts are fairly rusty. I used to paint those areas with galvanizing paint but as I get older and lazier, less gets done.
If I were to do it over, I would probably go for an aluminum frame, bunks, disks brakes and water tight lights:)
One advantage to rollers is that I can paint my hull on the trailer and by sliding the boat back a foot or so, paint the areas that were blocked by the rollers. With bunks, you can't do that. Not that cleaning and painting the hull on the trailer is any fun at all but it is doable.

Make sure you get enough rollers if you go that route, 24 plus should do nicely

It is important that the trailer be set up correctly. This is even more important for a roller trailer. You need to make sure you have proper tongue weight and proper roller spacing and contact. Bunks are a bit more forgiving.

gealro

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. The trailer salesmen may be selling me more trailer than I need. I'll take your advise on bunks.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When it comes to trailers you want more then u need. As long as it's not to overbuilt.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Where are you located? Typically, up in the NE guys love roller trailers. Down south we are partial to bunk trailers.

My 208 sat on a 6000 GVW trailer which had a capacity of 5200 lbs. I wouldn't go much less. Better to have 10 percent extra capacity.