Remove the Microwave? And do what w/ the space?? Ideas?

t bird

Reaction score
I've a 2002 30' Marlin No generator.
I've never used the Microwave.
Any of you remove theirs?
Was it easy? .....on a 1- 10 scale?
What did you do w/ the space?
I'd thought maybe an Engel little freezer for bait maybe.
Anyone know whats behind/ under there??

Thanks
T

jehines3

Reaction score
Whatever you do don't make it permenant. I use the heck out of my micro at the dock and could foresee any buyer wanting the same. What are you going to power the freezer with. jh

seabob4

Reaction score
A lot of builders secure the Micro from underneath, usually requires pulling the fridge.

Do whatever you want with the space. It's your boat!

Boats Rock

Reaction score
I put a 3 drawer tackle cabinet with a locking handle there. Buts it is removable if I want to reinstall the oven.

Tom-Lisa

Reaction score
T-Bird
You might try www.finnaddictmarine.com Click on the custom work side bar.They show a custom cabinet to replace the frig on a sailfish.Maybe they can fab something to fit in the existing hole where the microwave is on your marlin that will suit your needs.Just a thought.

Tom

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Microwave tackle box

I yanked my microwave out this morning on my '97 Islander. I'm planning on putting a hinge down starboard door. Will look neat when closed and my 370 plastic boxes fit nicley in there.

I'm trying to find the starboard plastic in GW off-white. Anyone have a source? The TACO Marine stuff Boater World and West carry is to white.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Tbird i will get some photos. But I made the face plate out of plastic from West Marine. The cabinet was premade. I bought it on ebay. The flanged door unscrewed from the box. I mated them to the faceplate and mounted in the microwave spot.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Microwave > Tackle Locker conversion

I finished the cabinet last night. Looks factory. Holds 11 of the 370 plastic boxes without a problem.

In answer to TBIRD's questions keep in mind that this is a '97 268 Islander but its likley the same. The microwave is not attached to anything - it is braced in place. The feet on the bottom of the microwave sit in cutouts. The top is held down with two pieces of starboard.

You have to remove the shelf wraparound rail, two screws from the shelf into a starboard holddown above the microwave, all the front screws and right side screws around the microwave.

You can't actually take the front off without a lot more disassembly. The front microwave starboard piece is screwer to the curved trim on the right side from the inside. At this point you can hinge the face out, remove the top brace and lift the microwave out.

How hard is it to do? Its not bad - especially if you know what I just told you.

What's behind there? From the pictures you can see its carpeted. There is an outlet that I removed and put a extension cord plug on for more room. The factory starboard on the bottom is cutout for the microwave. I cut a new piece of starboard to fit the cutout. The door in attached to the cutout and the cutout is secured with two screws. If I want to go back to the microwave I can easialy do it. Stole the door latch off the alchol stove cubbyhole - stove was missing from my boat.

Cabinet1.JPG

Cabinet2.JPG

jehines3

Reaction score
That looks awesome. I wish the PO did not modify mine to add a slightly larger microwave or I would consider the same mod. The top lip of my opening was shaved to accomodate a higher micro. Great job.. jh