Sailfish Enclosure

HBSteve

Reaction score
We have an 05 Sailfish 282 and are going to replace the enclosure. We're considering a polycarbonate front windshield with strataglass on the sides (with smilies). Is there an advantage (or disadvantage) of having a single piece polycarbonate windshield across the front versus splitting it like the stock isinglass enclosure? Thank you.....

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't believe so. They did it more for ease of installing I would say. Check out AJ Canvas in NC as I believe they made the original enclosure for your boat.
I thought their prices were pretty darn good, and they may have the exact pattern for you boat.

HBSteve

Reaction score
I'll do that first thing. The quote I recieved for the front - Makrolon 60 and sides - Strataglass 40 (including new canvass and front windshield cover) was $3,000.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That sounds like a decent price....

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
FWIW/IMHO? All of the clear plastics have a specific amount they can torque or bend, and they all have a certain amount of distortion that they can add to your field of view if you're looking through a bent piece. I'd think that if you went all 1-piece for the front wind screen, 1) it would take some serious doing to get it installed (read distorting the plastic to get it all in place), and 2) you'd probably end up with a big distortion bend right down the middle where the angle between the two windshield panels come together.

Not sure where you are geographically, but early season and late season in New England there are cool fog days/evenings when the only way to get better visibility is to unzip the front panels (smiles) and roll them up. If that's not an issue for you I'd totally close them entirely. But I think 2 separate panels will be WAY easer for installation and removal for cleaning/seasonal storage, as well as less running stress down the middle of a plastic panel.

Seriously, just guessing, just my two cents after installing and removing my enclosure a couple of times.

Bob.

HBSteve

Reaction score
We're in southern california. it seems the big advantage of polycarbonate is the clarity. Some say almost as good as glass. Only been caught in bad fog a few times but thats when i drive via radar/gps and post a lookout on the bow. I brought up your point about the angle causing a crazing crease. Canvas guy said i could split it if i preffered but the angle is so small he sees no issues and it would look much cleaner one piece. We're pretty mild weather year round so the enclosure never comes off. Just use the side smilies for ventelation in the summer. You're right though. Every saifish i see on google images has a split front windshield.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had the smaller pieces of plastic in mind when I initially. Having owned a 282, I now recall the smile faces in the glass and am coming around to Bob on this.
I always had the front open and really liked getting air in the helm. I think I'd stay with the enclosure, but to each his own. If you don't mind take some pics if you do something different. Would be nice to see.

HBSteve

Reaction score
Roger that on the pictures. I called A&J Canvas in NC as you recommended. It'll take them a day or two to see if they still have the pattern for our boat then call back with the price. It'll boil down to A&J as a stock replacement of the original isinglass and canvas or the local option of polycarbonate windshield (either single piece or split at the very front) with strataglass sides. The guy here is quoting $3k with or without the split windshield. I'm leaning towards the poly with the split windshield but will wait to see what A&J says. For +/- three grand I sure hope either option lasts at least a few years....

HBSteve

Reaction score
Fishtales, Thanks for the referral to A&J Canvas. They still had the pattern and will do the original enclosure with strataglass for $2350, shipping included. They also said they'd turn it around in less than two weeks. you saved me $650 and several weeks of wait time. Thanks for you help !

the.devo

Reaction score
If it's not too late, have them install frownie faces and not smilies. When you are underway, you can just just unzip a frown and let it flop down versus having to slow down so you can roll up and secure a smile.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Great to see it worked out. One thing to ask them for is the snap tool. Others here have used it and it is far superior to those on the market. They likely will lend it at zero cost. Just do your work and send it back promptly so they keep the program going. Pay forward to the next GW owner that is doing an enclosure change!
Take some pictures....

HBSteve

Reaction score
Too late re: smilies vs frownies.....oh well...it'll be a "happy boat." Yes A&J sent the tool. Can't get to the job for two more weeks but I'll send it back promptly with a quality thank you note. They were really nice and helpful and the canvas/strataglass looks great. We're anxious to get it on and start the summer. Thanks again for the referral.

Motivator

Reaction score
I need to replace the enclosure on my 06 Sailfish.
How was the fit and ease of installation being that you had to locate the snaps? Any advice should I choose to go this route?
TIA

HBSteve

Reaction score
Motivator,
A&J Canvas was the ticket. They had the exact pattern and the cut was factory quality perfect. Couldn't have been happier with their work product. Frankly I was nutted up a bit about putting in the snaps. Had these horrible thoughts of giant wrinkles wrecking the look of the whole boat. But I have to say it came out really nice. A&J sends a heavy duty snap tool (they ask you return it when you're done). They give you all the snaps as well. "Mr. Bobby" will talk you through the process for installation and he gave his personal cell phone to "call him any time" with questions. It's a two person job and it's a solid 3 hour job if you go really slow (as you should). We have a couple of soft wrinkles but it's at least as good as what we replaced. Besides, you can always opt to hire a canvas guy to do the installation if you'd rather not bother. I only wish A&J were on the West Coast.....I'd use them to replace our interior cushions...Good Luck and let us know how it goes.