Saltwater fishing boat for wheelchair user?

GingerFun

Reaction score
Hi, folks- Did some searching but couldn’t find any posts that addressed this topic, so here goes. Does anyone have any recommendations for a saltwater fishing boat that has enough space to accommodate a manual wheelchair without going all the way up to a 30+ ft express? Bonus points if my wife will be willing to do cocktail cruises on it.

My son was born with mobility issues that require the use of a wheelchair on the land. We live on the coast of NC and he loves the water- we book a charter a few times a year for nearshore/offshore fishing and he is an avid scuba diver. We’ve learned that we really just need space to park his chair on the deck, and he can get where he needs to go on the boat without the chair. We’ve been out several times on a 35 footer that had plenty of room on the aft deck for his chair, and we want to make the jump to buying our own boat. For clarity, we don’t need a fully accessible boat, and he’s able to manage his transfers on and off the boat - we really just need something with space for his chair that I can handle by myself.

more details…
  • Budget around $50k, prefer used
  • Been on the water my whole life but this would be the first boat I owned personally
  • Mix of fishing and family usage
  • Plan on keeping in a wet slip
  • Would need to be able to dock and manage on my own
Thanks! I’ve also posted this on THT, but interested if something like a 248 might make sense.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you're looking at walkaround styles of Grady White's like the 248 Voyager/Journey, I'd also consider looking into the 232 Gulfstream. If steps/stairs or slipping is a potential concern, the 228 Seafarer does have an all level floor comparatively. The wife wanting to do cocktail cruises has me thinking maybe something more along the lines of a 235/255 Freedom, though.

Reactions: GingerFun

GingerFun

Reaction score
If you're looking at walkaround styles of Grady White's like the 248 Voyager/Journey, I'd also consider looking into the 232 Gulfstream. If steps/stairs or slipping is a potential concern, the 228 Seafarer does have an all level floor comparatively. The wife wanting to do cocktail cruises has me thinking maybe something more along the lines of a 235/255 Freedom, though.
Does the freedom have much space to park a chair? We could make a DC work…

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does the freedom have much space to park a chair? We could make a DC work…
It'll have the same 8'6" beam that the 248 Voyager/Journey will have. A walkaround will admittedly have more storage space for a wheelchair in the cabin, but the Freedom being a DC will give the wife and her friends a place to sit up front for cocktail cruising. I'd check your local Grady White dealership and see if they have a 235 Freedom as well as a 232 Gulfstream to go look at each one, step onboard and see how each one feels. The 232 Gulfstream on the other hand is going to be a bit wider with a 9'3" beam, which will give you a bit more room, and you mentioned a wet slip so you won't have to worry about trailering it.

Gulffisher

Reaction score
I love that you are interested in allowing your son to enjoy family time on the water, and I hope that your are able to find an acceptable boat. Your $50K budget will very likely limit your selection. Would you not get more enjoyment from using the $50K purchase budget and the additional ongoing amounts you will spend on registration fees, insurance, wet slip costs, fuel, annual maintenance, and occasional repairs to fund additional charter trips?

Fishtales

Reaction score
X2 on the Gulf. Prob the best cockpit on a smaller boat. Good gunnel height. A little extra beam makes a big difference in the cockpit.
I'd like the twin 150s so you have redundancy.

MBB

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
It'll have the same 8'6" beam that the 248 Voyager/Journey will have. A walkaround will admittedly have more storage space for a wheelchair in the cabin, but the Freedom being a DC will give the wife and her friends a place to sit up front for cocktail cruising. I'd check your local Grady White dealership and see if they have a 235 Freedom as well as a 232 Gulfstream to go look at each one, step onboard and see how each one feels. The 232 Gulfstream on the other hand is going to be a bit wider with a 9'3" beam, which will give you a bit more room, and you mentioned a wet slip so you won't have to worry about trailering it.

MBB

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
The Freedom DC has passenger side back to back bucket seating that would allow your son to sit facing the bow or stern with minimal movement as you cruise or fish.
Also, the Dual Console design will provide more options regarding where to stow the wheelchair while underway.

Fishtales

Reaction score
One this to consider is weather/sea changes if you get caught in the slop, I'd prefer the bigger beam and the protection that a walk offers.

DJL

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
I have a Grady-White Freedom 215 DC and it has enough room on the starboard side aft of the helm seat for a wheel chair and enough room to pivot around and face all directions. Would be even more room if you can find one with a single captains chair to port rather than a back to back lounge seat. Very stable boat with an 8'6" beam. The boat has only been around since 2018 so there is limited pre owned inventory on the market but I have seen some 2018 models priced in the mid $50,000 range. I can send pics and measurements if you need more detail.