Saltwater Washdown Hose

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
One of my winter projects is going to be replacing the saltwater washdown lines. I have been fighting multiple leaks this past season and the time has come to just replace all the lines. What is the best hose for this and can anybody recommend a good source for it. I'm looking to replace all the hose from the seacock all the way to the deck fittings. I currently have 2 different types of hose in the boat all of which is 3/4". The factory hose is thick black with a wire band running through the wall. Then split off of that is what looks like spa hose going to a separate outlet. Both hoses have leaks/holes in them, so everything must go. thanks in advance.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
West marine sells the hose you need at a fair price.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/shields-r ... 33_001_014
328999.jpg

There are two types of clamps to use, cheap and the type that seems overbuilt and costs a few bucks each.
Pay the extra cash here and know that it won't come back to haunt you on the water.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/breeze-bo ... P011140324
11140316.jpg

Like fuel lines use two opposing clamps at each end on hose especially on the pressure side of the pump.
images

Have fun tinkering :wink:
Mike.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The wire-reinforced hose you currently have is the correct (required) hose for anything below the waterline (basically, anything coming off a thru-hull). Above that, the stuff Mike shows is perfect. All hoses below the waterline also need to be double clamped as Mike showed.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/shields-r ... 33_001_505
5637814.jpg

Some serious stuff. I replaced my fuel intake hose which had the wire re-enforcement and that was a PITA to cut.
I would have thought the poly re-enforced hose would be a good choice but I didn't scrimp on the fuel lines either so makes sense here as well.
I do believe you can over build somethings but this is a safety related thing so I agree but there is one thing now that doesn't quite add up.
I bought a washdown pump from westmarine last spring and haven't installed it yet. I picked up the bronze strainer with a bronze ball valve and bronze fitting to the hose connection. The hose seen above above matches the toughness of the bronze hardware but not the nylon hose fittings the pump came with and it wasn't a cheap pump. :?:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, that hose is a real pain to cut. Wire cutters or a Dremel come in handy. There's some newer stuff that has hard nylon reinforcing, instead of the wire - not "easy", but easier . I've used it for my head, but I still use the wire stuff for applications like this. Probably don't need to - but I feel better. The hose is even more of a pain to remove and install sometimes. I usually just cut it in the middle and then heat it up - it helps a little. Dipping the end, to reinstall, in hot water for a few minutes can help, too.

That's funny - what you said about the pump. There's all of these regulations for the thru-hulls, hoses, etc... but when it comes to the actual component... nada. Well, at least none that I'm aware of. However, I will say that besides bronze, there is only one other material allowed for things like thru-hulls. It's called Marelon and it's made by Forespar. Most people will mistakenly assume that it's just "plastic" - but it's a fiber-reinforced nylon. It's "possible" that the pumps are made out of this - or similar?

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I agree the hose is a pita to work with and cut. I redid the entire fuel system in my previous boat and used similar reinforced hose which was not very user friendly. I posted hoping there was another alternative, but it looks like i just need to replace the existing hose. I have had to replace my washdown pump every couple of years, and have always thought the connections on the pumps were on the wimpy side too. I also learned that by heating the hose with a heat gun it makes getting the hose on and off the fittings as a lot easier.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
It's called Marelon and it's made by Forespar. Most people will mistakenly assume that it's just "plastic" - but it's a fiber-reinforced nylon
In the years before I was in law enforcement I worked in a plastics factory, M&Q Plastic Products. We made nylon plastic parts including nozzles and tanks for American, British and European automobiles.
I've seen all types of re-enforced nylon parts and they all would be prone to cracking and becoming brittle in time.
The only nozzle we ever made that would not break was contracted for Volvo (figures right :roll: ) and it was because they used bronze inserts which the nozzles were injection molded over.
Building pumps out of nylon keeps manufacturing costs down and I personally I think has a bit of planned obsolescence built in.
I believe your best insurance is with two basic parts which is to install a bronze strainer connected directly to a bronze ball valve. Consider where they are mounted, can you shut that valve off quickly if needed? Then always shut the valve off when docked.