Scary transducer...

fishbust

Reaction score
What is this thing? What is with all the chains?

011_zps0c70f587.png

mboyatt

Reaction score
The chains are holding the top part of the device to the bottom plate (or at least adding extra tension) They tuck under the corners of that bottom plate, and one of the chains has come loose. Don't know what it is. Transducer into S&M? :mrgreen: What about tracing the power source? Just a thought. Could be a thru hull transducer, right? By the way, this is all speculation on my part.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
it's a punk. i think it started in wash state. :mrgreen:

can't see clearly, but it looks like the split rings are holding pins in the xducer. at a min, i would clean it up to see what you are dealing with. good luck, ron

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I bass fished we made plug retrievers that looked like that but may not be the same.
You had an object with cord line attached with chains hanging all around.
When you hung a plug deep simply slide that down the line and shake until the chain caught the hooks and snatch the plug free. Sometimes it straightened the hooks but saved a lot of money and maybe a favorite plug.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
An old style B744V thru-hull tri-ducer, as seen in the bilge. The split rings hold the speed/temp insert in place, and the chains are used to connect the split rings to the transducer so that, when removed, the split rings do not "disappear" into an inaccessible spot while removing the insert.

fishbust

Reaction score
Pez Vela said:
An old style B744V thru-hull tri-ducer, as seen in the bilge. The split rings hold the speed/temp insert in place, and the chains are used to connect the split rings to the transducer so that, when removed, the split rings do not "disappear" into an inaccessible spot while removing the insert.

Thanks Pez, you nailed it.
I found out last night with some help on another board it is an Airmar B744V, a serviceable Triducer (speed, temp & depth). It feeds my Furuno 582L.
Designed to be serviceable in the water. The paddlewheel assembly can be removed for cleaning in water and a blank plug inserted to stop water from coming in the boat.

Just tracked down a replacement paddlewheel kit with O-rings to freshen up the situation down there.

For anyone else who may have one, the part number for the paddlewheel kit with fresh O-rings is 33-113 and the part number for the same kit with the addition of the valve body is 33-218 and here is a link to the owners and installation manual:

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/installguide/17-118-02.pdf

Thanks all. 8)