Seafarer Livewell Gas Strut..Where to Buy???

L.R.

Reaction score
Need a new Gas Strut for my Livewell lid.Made by Ameritool. Has numbers...315/668/2172.....and....GW# 10-296.It is 11" extended and I don't see any #'s for the amount of extend pressure.Anyone know where to get these??? Thanks!!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
315-668-2172 is Ameritool's phone number in NY.

The GW part number is 10-196. Call Vero Marine (772-562-7922) and ask for Boo. He can take care of you.

L.R.

Reaction score
Kinda figured the "GW" was a Grady part number...Didn't know about the phone # though...Has anyone found the equivalent Stainless ones or what pound opened strength they are? I take it Vero Marine will ship? Thanks!!!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ameritool or Grady (possibly in your manual) can tell you the specs on the gas spring. Ameritool is a good company and they probably even have a direct SS replacement. Maybe you can even find the info on Am's website but a phone call would be the fastest way. Attwood makes a good SS spring, too. You likely have 10mm ball ends, but double check.

Reactions: Joefitz

L.R.

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,Always a wealth of knowledge! Have to say after owning My 2005 226 Seafaerer for almost 2 yr's now...I really like it! Not another 22-23 W/A as well thought out and spacious [Deck wise] made.I've tweaked Engine Height and Prop.And learned how to Run the Boat.It took some adjusting on My part to get the Hull to perform the Best.I have a 20 ft. Hydra-Sport C.C. and it still will out ride the Grady and is drier..I can now sit down and drive,Not have wind blowing on me all the time,Get out of the Elements,and when it's cold...I just turn on Mr. Heater!

G8RDave

Reaction score
I replaced all three of my stainless steel struts recently. I got them from Maxum Hardware. I went with the 55lb lift. Might be a hair much for the fish boxes, but seems just right for the live well. I think they ran a little over $40 each. They were made by Ameritool too.

Your live well must have a different strut than mine. Mine was 7.5 inches extended. The fish boxes were 10 inches though.

L.R.

Reaction score
Dave,I have a 226 with the Livewell on the Port side.Are You talking about the Rear Live Well?

G8RDave

Reaction score
L.R., sorry, I was thinking about a 228 like mine. Yours is probably 10 inches long (from center post to center post). I replaced those as well. As I said, I went with 55lbs of lift which works well, but you could get away with something a bit lighter (they cost the same). With 55lbs, the lid sometimes opens an inch or two once you unlatch it. The Ameritool part number is 625-3. I think they were $42 each.

Here's the link. http://www.maxumhardware.com/catalog/in ... 8vmd8hpfj0

L.R.

Reaction score
Well Guys,I found some ..Industrial Hardware Direct..Supposed to be Direct replacements for the ones I have...$20.00 Each.....Yes they are Stainless....BUT....Didn't think about it when I ordered them....They ARE Made in China! Didn't indicate that in the Book.. Should have known by the price...I HATE Chinese Metal of any kind....Seem to Work o.k. Think I will go with a bit heavier lift next time,as I'm sure these won't last long..Going to see How long they take to start rusting.[Chinese Stainless].Lesson of the Day learned! LOL..

Put the Lift Struts on..Do NOT buy them!!! Chinese JUNK... They hold the Lids up fine,but don't want to lift on their own.About midway,they need help..I'll use them for now.I will be getting the Real ones by Spring time. :bang