SHUT DOWN PROCEDURE

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What si the proper procedure for shutting down an outboard engine?? A mechanic has just told me that the carberator on my Evinrude had only oil and no gas. Is this the result of not running all the fuel out of the engiine when shutting down?

yb

uncljohn

Reaction score
Do you pre-mix oil or is it injected from an external tank in the bilge? I guess this is an older carb'd engine.

As far as I know, you don't need to do anything special. You just turn the key. Sounds more like your fuel pump is shot and the engine is only sending oil into the carbs? I don't know.

FlemIslGator

Reaction score
I had a 1987 Evinrude that I ran for 15 years. On it, when I got home I would run it on the hose/earmuffs for about 10 - 15 minutes & then turn off the fuel shut-off valve and run until it ran out of gas. Never had any issues with that, although I heard various opinions whether that was the right thing to do or not. At one point, I did have a bad VRO pump that leaked oil into the engine when it was off. This caused excess (sometimes embarrasing) smoke at the ramp at start-up. Otherwise it worked fine. I changed the VRO pump & never had another issue.
With my current motor (2002 Yam 200 HPDI), I just turn the key off & flush with the integrated flush tube. I was warned to never run it out of gas.

wanderer200

Reaction score
What year evinrude do you have? If its premix, if the carb is not getting fuel and whats left in the bowl dries up, all that will be left is a small amount of premix.
If its injected, the oil is injected after the carb but when you tilt motor at the end of the day, a vro system that bleeds out will send oil down the throat of the carb and run some into the bowl. Do you get any oil on the inside of the lower cowling? I have an 01 ficht 200 that bleeds out because of a bad pump. Thats the ONLY problem I have and been using it for 2yrs that way because it going to be a mother to change. I stuff an oil absorbant mat in there and just change it out so it doesnt run outside the motor. I dont get any smoke because I dont have fuel bowls, their more like throttle bodys.
I had an 83 200 carbed, non oil injected (premix) for 20yrs and this 01 for about 3yrs. Never ran them out of fuel, just turn the key off.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If VRO, yes it is.

But when reinfusing with gas, should have started eventually and smoked up neighborrhood to 911 call, but nonetheless started.