Simrad ap 11 autopilot

jigstrike

Reaction score
I have an old simrad ap11 on my Marlin. It no longer works. I get a message that says FAIL after turning it on.
There is a guy selling a new ap24 head unit here locally, and I am wondering if anyone knows if that will work on my system??
Thanks

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
I'd be concerned that the "message" that you're getting originates from the computer unit, typically a J300x or J3000x box, and isn't a symptom of just the head unit at all.

I also have an AP11, and have the more common "power/mode/standby" button is toast or needs service. Best of luck!

Bob.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My AP11 failed as well, and I was able to find an AP22. The connectors don't match up, so I had to cut the leads and add a new connector; it has worked great ever since.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Shout out to Marine Electronics of the Outer Banks, who specialize in repair and resale of earlier Simrad products, amongst other electronics. They took delivery of my AP11 control head, charged 2 hours at $95/hr to clean and repair buttons, bridged some other items they identified as potential problems, and repaired the casing. Shipping back brought total to just over $200.

Having the buttons repaired allowed me to identify an issue with the rudder position sensor, which I replaced with Teleflex AR4502SI (important to get the 'SI' version for Simrad compatibility), which was a pretty easy install for my boat, F225 four strokes.

Follow the instructions re-calibration of autopilot, and adjust compass offset to substantially match binnacle and MFD navigation GPS, and we're back in business for around $500. Not that I wouldn't have loved to upgrade to a newer autopilot system, but if I have to flip a coin between new autopilot and adding radar in the spring, I'm happy to have the original unit back up and running reliably!

Bob.

Slacktime

Reaction score
jigstrike: I have a Simrad AP 26 control head and an AC 20 autopilot computer that I removed from my 03 Marlin. I replaced it with an AC 12 computer because it was compatible with my chartplotter. Everything worked when removed from the boat. If you are interested I would be willing to let it go for short money. Send me a PM

Attachments

• simrad.jpg
    simrad.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 805