Single or Tandem Axle Trailer for 2007 Tournament 205?

jwc1764

Reaction score
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2007 T205 and I'm at a crossroads on the trailer. Boat doesn't come with a trailer so I have to buy one. I've got a rep from a trailer manufacturer telling me they can build a beast single axle trailer that would handle the 205. Trailer doesn't have breaks, but is an aluminum with a bunch of stainless steel, a beast axle and 15" wheels. Made in Florida, well known brand, but nothing fancy. Rep is a former coast guard guy, he's saying he would feel confident with a bigger boat on this trailer.

I live in eastern VA so mountains aren't a huge issue but I will do a few longer trips each year.

Is it crazy to consider a single axle trailer for a boat that weighs 3500 pounds without fuel? Add the 82 gallon tank and an iced up Yeti and you're pushing 4200# easy. He would have it custom balanced to the T205, and I don't want to buy more trailer than I need, but I may sell the boat and trailer down the road. Anyway, I'm curious what you're thinking and appreciate any feedback here.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Take it from a guy who has suffered a number of road side issues trailering down 95. More is better and a tandem axle trailer with disc brakes on all 4 wheels is the way to go.

If you have a blow out with tandem wheels you might be able to limp to an exit or rest area and deal with the tire issue in a safe environment. Single axle to put it bluntly you are screwed. I had a tandem axle trailer with my 192. If you go single you NEED brakes. You can tow pretty much anything, stopping is the key to being safe. Your insurance company and tow vehicle brakes will thank you.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I believe brakes are a legal requirement for most states when the gross weight is over 3K. I believe this is the case in VA. Honestly, if this "CG Rep" doesn't know that or isn't advising you to check, I would go elsewhere awful fast. If he's not going to be honest about that, how can you trust him on everything else. Was it his idea to use the word "beast" to describe things, rather than tell you actual capacities? Sounds like he's trumping it up. If so, that's another strike... and I wouldn't wait till strike three. Another thing, just because it may be a "well known" brand, doesn't mean it's a quality brand. Many "price conscious" manufacturer's skimp on quality when it comes to things like bearings, springs and other components.

But... back on point... Yes, you can get a heavy duty single axle, but I'm in favor of going tandem for your boat. It's not needed from the weight standpoint, but as mentioned above it sure does offer a lot of security. Plus, it trailers better. I've blown tires more than once on my Sea Ray Sundancer's trailer (about 10K gross). It handled it like a champ (Shoreland'r brand) and NO ONE in the truck even knew the tire blew - it was still THAT stable. Heck, I BARELY knew - the only thing I felt was the very tiniest of vibrations in the steering wheel... and then about 30 seconds later I saw the smoke in my side view :roll:

Get brakes on both axles.

grunt

Reaction score
You can get a very nice custom built bunk trailer to fit your boat perfectly.
Tandem axles with hydraulic disc brakes on both axles is the only way to go.
My 208 Adventure on an Eagle trailer tows great at 60mph.
They also make galvanized trailers for salt water.

Attachments

• Grady White 208 June 2014 002.JPG
    Grady White 208 June 2014 002.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 1,269

seasick

Reaction score
I second everything stated. The one area I may disagree is the need for brakes on all four wheels but you do need brakes. That hull alone weighs 2800 pounds plus youhave to add motor, gas, and gear. The trailer will weigh about another 1000 pounds. Go for sealed LED lights too. If you are launching in salt water, stainless steel disks will be a plus.
I assume the trailer will be bunk style but if roller, make sure you have enough rollers to distribute the hull weight, 24 are pretty much minimum.; 28 or 32 are a better match

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
seasick said:
The one area I may disagree is the need for brakes on all four wheels

Just out of curiosity, why? Is it because of the added maintenance? 4 brakes do, afterall, stop better than 2 brakes. :)

From a legality standpoint, some states require brakes on all axles. I don't know about about VA, but it is that way in PA.

seasick

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
seasick said:
The one area I may disagree is the need for brakes on all four wheels

Just out of curiosity, why? Is it because of the added maintenance? 4 brakes do, afterall, stop better than 2 brakes. :)

From a legality standpoint, some states require brakes on all axles. I don't know about about VA, but it is that way in PA.

Other than cost up front and down the road, unless there is some sort of brake balancing device, it is possible to have one or more disks lock up while the others are still rolling. When that happens tires drag and wear quickly as well as develop flat spots. Perhaps you have seen semi trailers wheel hop on braking. That's due to a combination of uneven load and maybe uneven braking force.
I am in NY and that state requires brakes for gross weights over 3,000 pounds. The state does not mandate brakes on all axles.
Of course, I could be wrong about the downside of dual or triple brakes (three axles, three sets of brakes??) It seems that I have been making more errors as I grow older:)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I hear what you are saying. And I fully understand and "resemble" the remark about errors vs age... :mrgreen:

I can only speak from experience, but I do quite a bit of trailering - probably more than most, only because in addition to my own boats, I also work part time in the marine industry and am the primary "on water demonstration" guy at our place. I trailer boats from 2,000 lbs to 15,000 lbs and everywhere in between. And have been doing so for 25 years. From my experience, I haven't seen those issues to be common, or anywhere even close to common. I've locked up wheels before, sure, but I have never seen any ill effects from it. And, honestly, I can probably count on one hand how many times I've locked up a wheel... and I probably don't need all my fingers, either!

It's an interesting point about brake force balance, though. I suppose there could be some "initial" unbalance because of the length of the lines, but once the brakes start to do their thing, I would think the pressure would be relatively equal since they are all receiving the same amount of line pressure from the master cylinder.

If the trailer is setup properly for the boat and has appropriately sized brakes, it's pretty hard to lockup a tire since you have the weight of the boat on them. An empty trailer is much more likely to have tires lockup. I would, however, imagine that an "internet special" trailer may be more likely to have an issue(s) as compared to a quality built trailer.

jwc1764

Reaction score
Wow. The quality and quantity of responses here is really amazing. I can't thank you all enough for giving me your thoughts on this issue. As result I'm definitely planning to get a tandem axle and will pay attention to sealed LED lights, and general salt water corrosion resistant parts (any other trailer parts you all think is a must have upgrade?). I've heard you want good galvanized or stainless bearings...

To be fair to the guy who recommended the single axle, he didn't actually use the word beast as a standalone descriptor. He did mention that the axle itself was weight rated for 5200 lbs. but when you add the 1000 pound trailer, 3500 pound boat and motor plus 82 gallons of fuel and a bunch of gear and cooler you're easily at 5200, and probably over it. I'm just going to spend the money and get the tandem and ride assured.

Thanks again!!

seasick

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
I hear what you are saying. And I fully understand and "resemble" the remark about errors vs age... :mrgreen:

I can only speak from experience, but I do quite a bit of trailering - probably more than most, only because in addition to my own boats, I also work part time in the marine industry and am the primary "on water demonstration" guy at our place. I trailer boats from 2,000 lbs to 15,000 lbs and everywhere in between. And have been doing so for 25 years. From my experience, I haven't seen those issues to be common, or anywhere even close to common. I've locked up wheels before, sure, but I have never seen any ill effects from it. And, honestly, I can probably count on one hand how many times I've locked up a wheel... and I probably don't need all my fingers, either!

It's an interesting point about brake force balance, though. I suppose there could be some "initial" unbalance because of the length of the lines, but once the brakes start to do their thing, I would think the pressure would be relatively equal since they are all receiving the same amount of line pressure from the master cylinder.

If the trailer is setup properly for the boat and has appropriately sized brakes, it's pretty hard to lockup a tire since you have the weight of the boat on them. An empty trailer is much more likely to have tires lockup. I would, however, imagine that an "internet special" trailer may be more likely to have an issue(s) as compared to a quality built trailer.

Dennis, your input and experience are greatly appreciated. I will take all your comments into consideration when the topic next arises. One of your comment about locking wheels and not seeing any ill effects puzzles me since I have flat spotted trailer tires ( although that was due to a full lockup and it didn't free up when pressure was removed so the tires were dragged for a while but it didn't take a lot of dragging to rub off the tread).

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
seasick said:
One of your comment about locking wheels and not seeing any ill effects puzzles me since I have flat spotted trailer tires ( although that was due to a full lockup and it didn't free up when pressure was removed so the tires were dragged for a while but it didn't take a lot of dragging to rub off the tread).

More than likely the difference in your experiences to mine may just be the amount of time/distance that the wheels were locked up. In my case, I've never had all 4 (or 6) tires lock up. Or, at least, I don't think all of the tires locked up. It was the rear set that locked up, I assume because of the weight transfer forward. I was able to physically see "scuff" marks on the tires where they had locked, but it didn't really noticeably wear them down - or if it did, it was extremely minimal (I'm sure there was some wear). But even so, it was never for a long distance and that probably explains our difference in experience. The times that they've locked up with an empty trailer - while it may happen for a longer time/distance, there just isn't enough weight on the tires to make much of an impact.

I have towed similar boats (same brand trailer as we see a lot of Shoreland'r trailers), over the years, with 4 brakes and with 2 brakes. I can say that I do notice a difference in the stopping ability of the 4 brakes. I would NOT say that it's "twice" as effective, though.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider a single axle for that boat. Tandem 3500 lb axles , aluminum I beam bunk trailer, unless you launch at the beach or very swallow ramp, all stainless steel fasteners, brakes on all four wheels, Kodiak or deemax all Stainless steel if budget allows. I use white slides : http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html
much better than carpet, the boat slides off the trailer almost like rollers and these don't hold water ( salt) like carpet to corrode the trailer.

As for wheel lock up you are more likely to lock them up if you have brakes on one axle, try stopping you vehicle with the parking brake and you will see how easy it is to lock the rears. I use electric over hydraulic as is law here on anything over 2000 kg (4400 lbs) but normal hydraulic override are fine for your load. The advantage with the electric, you can pull the trailer brakes without engaging the tow vehicle brakes if she starts to snake.
As for bearings don't use S/S they are too soft, any quality brand made in Japan or USA will do, NOT Chinese made regardless of brand.

If the trailer cross-members are V make sure they have a hole in the V so water doesn't stay in there, if they don't have a hole drill a 1/4" hole there.

jwc1764

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to update you all and let you know I went with a tandem axle aluminum trailer. Stainless steel hardware, bunks, four inertia disk brakes, torsion suspension, oil bath hubs, sealed LEDs. Pulled it up from Florida to Virginia and it towed like a dream behind my 2016 F150 ecoboost. Thanks again for the advice.