Source for Closed Cell Foam

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm look for new foam for my cockpit cushions. The foam that is inside the cushions now acts like a sponge and they are full of water. A year ago I dried the foam and then wrapped the foam in a kitchen trash bag, and sealed with duct tape. I thought this would keep the water out but it has obviously not.

The material that is inside my cushions is not closed cell and was wrapped in some type of cellophane originally. That has since disintegrated and I would like to replace with a material that won't soak up water.

Has anyone else purchased any foam and do you have any recommendations?

richie rich

Reaction score
Look up EZ Dri foam by Crest Foam Industries...they're in Jersey
water runs right through and out for drying and no mold

seasick

Reaction score
DryFast is a product I used for my bolsters. Water does pass right through it so it doesn't get soggy.
I got mine from the Foam Factory online.. Sailrite sells it also but it is more expensive on their site. It is not closed cell it is called reticulated foam.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Shoot me a message on how big a piece you need.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grog,
I'll have to measure the cushions tonight but it's approximately 1' x 2' x 2". Get back with you tonight or tomorrow. Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You should have been able to seal it with the garbage bag. How did you tape close the bag?

Sopac makes closed cell, not cheap and harder. Totally waterproof.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grog, i need two pieces that are 15" x 25" x 2" thick. These are the only two cushions that are currently soaking water.

BobP, after viewing the video of the reticulated foam showing the water flowing straight through the foam, I think that's the route I will go. I'm not sure why the trash bags didn't work for me long-term. They were sealed with duct tape. My guess is that something tore the bag - possibly the zipper on the bottom of the cushion. I haven't taken the foam out of the cushions so I'm not sure. At any rate, I'm not sure why GW used the type of foam that they did. Its the same as you would find in a sofa or chair in your house.

seasick

Reaction score
Strikezone said:
Grog, i need two pieces that are 15" x 25" x 2" thick. These are the only two cushions that are currently soaking water.

BobP, after viewing the video of the reticulated foam showing the water flowing straight through the foam, I think that's the route I will go. I'm not sure why the trash bags didn't work for me long-term. They were sealed with duct tape. My guess is that something tore the bag - possibly the zipper on the bottom of the cushion. I haven't taken the foam out of the cushions so I'm not sure. At any rate, I'm not sure why GW used the type of foam that they did. Its the same as you would find in a sofa or chair in your house.
Trash bags are pretty low grade plastic and duct tape wont seal anything.
These reticulated foams are relatively expensive compared to the OEM foam. I don't know when that type became available so I can't say why Grady didn't use it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Closed cell foam may be harder, some will find too hard.