Spectrum coatings prices

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have been shopping for some gelcoat in order to do some repairs on the 95 Islander. Typically, Evercoat Gelcoat cost about $30 a quart which I can get locally.(no shipping) Spectrum quoted me a price of $117 per quart plush shipping. I know it matches pretty well but not perfect to the '95. I had to mess around with the $75 quart I bought several years ago. How difficult is it to mix white with pigments to get the GW color? I know they use red, yellow and black coloring agent. I could mess up a lot before getting it right for $117. Has anyone mixed up their own? I know the agents are about $8 each but I will probably need very little. What would you do? That would leave me with $100 for the anchor and ground tackle I misplaced off the Jersey coast last summer or the 3 gallons of Yamilube I need for next year, or the new washdown pump that quit, or the new cranking batteries etc...

georgemjr

Reaction score
I can't comment on your answer directly, but can comment on how I found a match. I went to a local gel-coat supplier. He had a color swath with all shades of white and off-white and cream. I brought that home and picked the one that matched. It was perfect when the rest of the boat was newly buffed and waxed. By the end of the season, the older portion of the hull would get whiter or chalkier than the new gel-coat.