Steering at low speed

HRGradyWhite

Reaction score
We have a 1992 20 foot Grady with a 175 Johnson hydraulic. Current issue is it is almost impossible to steer at low speeds. The throttle is really difficult to move (as if it sticks) and we really have to work hard at moving the steering wheel. Very tricky when coming/leaving the marina. Any suggestions are appreciated. HR
HRGradyWhite

mboyatt

Reaction score
Really need more information from you. I have a 94 192 Tournament and can tell you that the hull does not track well at low speed - it is easy to over steer and zig zag. However, it is not impossible to steer as you describe. Sounds to me as though you have other issues. Is your helm a hydraulic unit? If so, it may be time to rebuild or replace the helm. If you are not familiar with the unit, you may be better off having it checked out by a mechanic as opposed to just buying parts in the hope that you get it right. Check fluid level in the helm and make sure you have no leaks. That would be a starting point. Regarding your throttle, if those are the original cables, you probably need to look at getting those replaced. In the meantime, you can look under the outboard cowling, starboard side, to see if there is anything funky going on where the cables attach to the motor. Good luck!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Disconnect the hydraulic cylinder from the motor, easy turn - problem is with the motor, still hard - problem is with steering. ITC, most likely at the helm. Disconnect motor cables from the motor and operate, same scenario ... :wink:

ahill

Reaction score
Once you solve the mechanical issues trim your motors up and you'll track straighter without as much wheel action.

mboyatt

Reaction score
X2 on trimming the motor up at low speed. It does help with tracking. I think part of the issue is you may be getting used to the boat. I had the same concerns/frustration with my 192 for the first few months. Now I don't even notice. I don't remember my Mako ever tracking that way, but I no longer find it an issue and I love the 192 Tournament. Just an awesome boat.