Steering control problem

HRGradyWhite

Reaction score
We have a 1992 20 foot Grady and love it. Current issue is it is almost impossible to steer at low speeds. The throttle is really difficult to move (as if it sticks) and we really have to work hard at moving the steering wheel. Very tricky when coming/leaving the marina. Any suggestions are appreciated. HR

jaydub

Reaction score
You might need to bleed the hydraulic fluid in your steering. If you get any air in there it can really affect how responsive your steering is. It is a pain in the butt to bleed the system but the results are great. Also, I have a 22' GW and I run a lot at slow/idle speed while moving through canals here. I found that when I trim my trim tabs down 100% it pulls the bow don and really helps with the slow speed steering. Not sure if you have trim tabs but you might want to try it. Don't forget to raise the tabs again before you take off.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Or, as I experienced just recently, you may find a kink in a hydraulic line under the deck, that's not obvious at first. How the heck a kink forms in a line that doesn't move is beyond me....

It gave me similar symptoms. Had to turn hard (to push fluid through the kink) then it would feel okay for a second, then hard again.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is it tough to steer at all speeds? If so, disconnect the steering cylinder and see if the motor rotates freely. If it does, then the problem is in the steering assembly. If it doesn't, the problem is in the steering bracket.

Yamaha has a poor design in that pumping grease into the system does not get it all the way through the bushings. Eventually the bushings will bind from old grease. The only fix involves removing the power head to get to it.

bc282

Reaction score
nothing lasts forever, this includes shift and throttle cables. if cables are same vintage as boat, its time to replace with some new ones. disconnect, measure and replace with same size--buy quality cable!

steering: mechanical/cable or hydraulic? if mechanical, have a close inspection and see if system is worn out or just needs some TLC and lube. if hydraulic, i'd start with seeing if it there is air in the system (usually you get a "staccato" like feel when turning helm), check helm resevoir and add oil as needed and bleed system (use a clear hose off the nipples into a clear clean bottle; buy the kit for the oil bottle {short hose with fitting from oil bottle to screw fitting of helm resevoir}). if you have to add significant amount of oil, check for leaks at every fitting and at the helm. inspect the hydraulic ram mounted on the front of the motor, these are very durable but again, nothing lasts forever.