Steering Wheel Removal

vmccaffrey

Reaction score
I have a Spirit 17 Center Console. I'm trying to access the steering unit (helm) and need to remove the steering wheel. I've attempted with a wheel puller.

I'm having difficulty pulling off. I'd appreciate any insight or check list of procedure.

Thanks

Vin in VA

kgs365

Reaction score
im having the same problem..i've already bent 2 wheel pullers (they where in exepensive ones) the problem i have is finding the right puller that will fit behind the destroyer wheel...you might want to try a spray lubricant and let it soak in...and maybe heat...other treads suggest getting a friend to pull on the wheel and you smack it with a rubber mallet...let us know what works

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Make sure you just loosen the nut and don't totally remove it or once it lets go so may a few of your teeth. :D

seasick

Reaction score
Strikezone said:
Make sure you just loosen the nut and don't totally remove it or once it lets go so may a few of your teeth. :D
Back off the nut til it is flush with the shaft threads. Put pressure on the puller and then whack the center shaft of the puller with a ball peen hammer. Soaking as mentioned before pulling may help. I have removed a few wheels with success but I do have a decent quality puller.

noXcuse

Reaction score
Back the nut off until it's flush with the end of the stud. Pull the steering wheel like you're trying to pull it off with one hand. With the other hand, pop the nut a couple times with a hammer. Comes right off every time. I've spent 9 years as a mechanic, and that's way better than a puller. Just pulled the steering wheel off my boat last weekend. Has to grease it up.

FYI, don't smash it like a caveman. Just hit it like you're driving in a finishing nail.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just removed mine last weekend and used a wheel puller loaned by Advanced Auto. I sprayed it with PB Blaster about a week before I made the attempt and spent about 3/4 hour with the puller moving it to different spots and tapping. I did not apply extreme pressure with the puller, but tightened and relaxed pressure then tightened again. Not too bad but it is inside the enclosure so corrosion was not evident. It did chip the paint on the housing.. For reinstallation, do you think that anti-sieze would help? I don't intend on removing it soon. (new tilt helm installed)

andrew45

Reaction score
The removing of steering wheel is not a tough task. Before removing of steering wheel, make sure that all electric connection are disconnected, near the wheel area. Than start the removing process with some adjustable wrench to unscrew the shaft and remove the wheel.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
A few years ago, I spend nearly an entire day trying to remove the wheel on my sailfish. Broke two steering wheel pullers and finally broke it free with a larger one. We sprayed and soaked everything. Tightened nut and every other idea we could find on the Internet and from dealer. Just be careful and don't screw up the helm pump. For anyone reading this, probably a good idea to remove and grease the hub so you never have this problem. Good luck!