Stiff Steering?

gradygraham

Reaction score
I'm still getting used to my new Grady (2004 228 w/ Yamaha 225). The steering feels fine when idling and moving very slow. Once I get up to 20mph or more though the steering is very stiff. Is it normal for the steering to be tight and take some effort to steer?

I might be making a big deal out of nothing since I am used to driving tournament ski boats where I could spin the boat on a dime.

Thanks for everyone's help with my "new guy" question.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've been getting used to the same thing - coming mainly from a stern drive background and smaller outboards. Yes, I believe it's normal -- the ski boat had power steering with a power steering pump. Now you have hydraulic steering and you're fighting the pressure of the water running past the gear case at higher speeds. I've thought about getting one of those steering wheel knobs to see if that helps a little. I think it would also help with slow speed maneuverability since it takes more "wheel" to turn the engine "X" degrees than power steering.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can spin my 223 pretty easily....are you trimmed out at planing speed? If the motor is all the way down you will be fighting steering torque.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep. Once you get up on plane, trim the engine out as far as you can before the propeller starts to ventilate. You should feel the steering lighten up as you trim the engine out.

gradygraham

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll make sure I'm trimmed out next time.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Cool, I'll have to try that, too. I know I've had it trimmed up before and still noticed it was stiffer than power steering, but I'll take more note to where the trim is next time.