Teak

JeffN

Reaction score
I would have thought that the Starboard would be at least as rigid as the thin strips of teak that the boat came with. Years ago before I was aware of Starboard I was thinking about replacing the teak, back then I was thinking about Corian (?sp) like they use for counter tops. How thick do they make Formica? Did your friend use it alone or install the Formica over the old teak? My teak must be at least a 1/4" thick. Or was before I started sanding, much thicker than Formica that I have seen.

Reel Sharp

Reaction score
JeffN said:
I would have thought that the Starboard would be at least as rigid as the thin strips of teak that the boat came with. Years ago before I was aware of Starboard I was thinking about replacing the teak, back then I was thinking about Corian (?sp) like they use for counter tops. How thick do they make Formica? Did your friend use it alone or install the Formica over the old teak? My teak must be at least a 1/4" thick. Or was before I started sanding, much thicker than Formica that I have seen.

I have not heard of Corian being used but I have worked with it on remodeling jobs. I use it for thresholds instead of marble when I tile. It is VERY tough with ability to bend quite a bit without snapping. I don't think it will expand and contract due to it's density, not to mention it is used for counter tops and it would ruin other parts of the kitchen if it moved. You can cut it with a table saw. put an edge with a router or sander and sand it smooth. Pre-drill with a countersink bit so the screws are flush to the surface of the Corian.

JeffN

Reaction score
Same here Norm, I have been around Corian for years on jobs and was curious. I figured the Starboard would be good but maybe not. Corian would be more expensive but perhaps I could find a place that has cuts of it. Most of the pieces I require are short. I would just have to figure out what to use for the under gunnel rod holders. There was a picture I think here somewhere of a cockpit done in what I thought was Starboard and it looked great. Oh well. Try some Cetol first though. I really like the look. See if you can find someone that has some and run a test on the back of a small piece of trim. Try to check out all three (I think) different hues.

Reel Sharp

Reaction score
JeffN said:
Same here Norm, I have been around Corian for years on jobs and was curious. I figured the Starboard would be good but maybe not. Corian would be more expensive but perhaps I could find a place that has cuts of it. Most of the pieces I require are short. I would just have to figure out what to use for the under gunnel rod holders. There was a picture I think here somewhere of a cockpit done in what I thought was Starboard and it looked great. Oh well. Try some Cetol first though. I really like the look. See if you can find someone that has some and run a test on the back of a small piece of trim. Try to check out all three (I think) different hues.
If you are looking to replace under the gunwale, it can be cut with a scrolling blade on a jigsaw and holes can be cut out with a hole saw. I have cut holes in it for counter tops. i do like the look of the teak even though it is a little more up-keep.

JeffN

Reaction score
Going to try and revive and old thread and topic. So in the ensuing years has anyone tried corian for a substitute for the cockpit teak? Or any other material that does not expand too much and look wavy? I saw another boat with longish pieces of starboard trim and it really doesn't look great as it expands and contracts. How has PVC worked out for people, anyone try that lately? I have had good luck with the Cetol on the wood in the helm area. Just removed it and sanded it yesterday and got one coat on it. Around the helm is under the bimini so it is somewhat protected. In the cockpit though I have refinished the teak a lot more and is showing it's age. Getting thin from repeated sanding, the cetol holds up there OK not as well as the helm area but OK. I am still curious about corian but am thinking that if that does not pan out I could have rod holders made from Starboard and just replace the teak trim with new wood. Would rather not replace the rod holders with teak, I think the starboard would blend in and not look odd with the teak. That may be the way to go. Any suggestions?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have tried the PVC. Too soft and dents like crazy. Removed it.
I currently have starboard trim. The foot rail is 3/4" thick and is excellent so far. No noticable warping to a point where I am concerned or unhappy.
however, the 1/4" trim on the gunnels/transom do warp. To minimze the warp, you really need to slot the screw holes some to allow for the expansion. however, this does not allow you to fully tighten the screws.
The bottom transom trim panel strip has through bolts and this one warps so bad, you could drive a car behind it! :mrgreen:

Thinking for this bottom trim panel, the best solution is to remove it, put in the through bolts underneath the trim. These bolt help hold the back transom panel in on this model Grady. Then, I could install a simple trim over top with some slotting and help this warpage. Might experiment on that this winter.

Until then, I have not found any substitute material that is affordable and stable. I do like the looks of the seafoam starboard as it blends in with a nice trim look to the edges if nothing was there.

Also was thinking about the stick on trim Grady uses, but think this would show uneven differences more than a more firm piece of trim.

JeffN

Reaction score
I have to figure out something over the winter also, at least for the cockpit the rest must be protected enough as it holds up well. Might even replace with new teak finished with Cetol. Not sure yet. thinking new wood with the Cetol might work well. Will most likely try Starboard for the rod holders. RobertH a friend had a newer Grady with the fake wood trim that went south and he tried to renew it with some sort of "sticky" wood look product over the fake wood with a coat of finish over it. Did not last well. Not sure of the particulars but he did research it a lot and took a lot of time to do it, he is not a half assed sort, just did not hold up.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi JeffN, the trim I would use instead would be the Grady White Vinyl Trim like shown here. Seems to be holding up very well now after a couple of seasons since I replaced the original aluminum trim.
You can see the example here:

Attachments

• Grady Vinyl Trim1.jpg
    Grady Vinyl Trim1.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 1,131

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I got mine from EBAY a while back, but none there currently. However it was through Taylor Marine I believe and there is another post on this site saying they got same trim from Taylor and it is still available. I would imagine any of the Grady dealers can get it.