Tournament Heat Options

timberxx

Reaction score
I am just about to buy my second boat. Its a grady white 20' Tournament powered with a 200 hp yamaha 4 stroke.

I choose the tournament because I enjoy fishing all year long, raining or not. My boat will have a three sided enclosure.

The fiancee loves boating and is excited about the purchase. But she gets cold easily. All the heating options seem to be for boats with cabins.

The yamaha 200 4 stroke has a 45 amp circuit, is this enough to run a electric heater at idle? Are there better options?

I would prefer not to have a honda portable generator hanging on the stern of my boat.

I am looking for options guys, please help!

timberxx

Reaction score
I did look at the portable heaters, and they make me nervous. How do you mount them? They can't be too stable while underway.

The larger buddy heater needs 120v to run the fan.

Is there a more permanent setup?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
We do some winter camping and have a coleman portable catalytic heater which also might be an option as well. The heater uses the larger propane cylinders for its fuel source and not liquid coleman fuel. I am generally not kean on having fire on the boat underway, but the heater does not have an open flame to it.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
http://doctorbee.com/Fishing/boat.htm

heater1.jpg

heatholder2.jpg

Frank

Reaction score
It is going to be pretty warm in your 3-sided enclosure any time the sun is out and the temperature is above55 degrees.

GWcpa

Reaction score
I had a 205 with an F200. Used my Mr. buddy heater and stayed warm striper fishing in the fall. It worked well, but would cut off if it was rough. Could not really keep it on while running either, but kept passenger feet warm while trolling.

wanderer200

Reaction score
I`m working on heat also for an overniter. A friend of mine has a mr buddy heater that he loaned to me. He disabled the anti-tip shut-off so it will not shut down when rough. There are two picture hanger type holes in the back. I made a small strip of wood to attach to the back and velco on back of wood and cabin doors. I just stick it to the doors facing rearward. It works good so far. Its the mr buddy that has a fan that runs off internal batteries.
My other option was electric heat. 1500 watt heater, 2500 watt inverter and wiring, was looking at about 400 bucks. A trial run with the electric in the driveway on an extension cord proved it was not enough. At temps 40 or warmer, it may do the trick. My biggest issue with the electric set-up is the power inverters have a shut-off at 10.5 volts. At a 17 amp draw, it won`t take long to run a battery down to 10.5. I want something I can run when needed during an overnite trip without having to start the engine.
Be carefull of co2 levels when using propane.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
wanderer200 said:
I`m working on heat also for an overniter. A friend of mine has a mr buddy heater that he loaned to me. He disabled the anti-tip shut-off so it will not shut down when rough. There are two picture hanger type holes in the back. I made a small strip of wood to attach to the back and velco on back of wood and cabin doors. I just stick it to the doors facing rearward. It works good so far. Its the mr buddy that has a fan that runs off internal batteries.
My other option was electric heat. 1500 watt heater, 2500 watt inverter and wiring, was looking at about 400 bucks. A trial run with the electric in the driveway on an extension cord proved it was not enough. At temps 40 or warmer, it may do the trick. My biggest issue with the electric set-up is the power inverters have a shut-off at 10.5 volts. At a 17 amp draw, it won`t take long to run a battery down to 10.5. I want something I can run when needed during an overnite trip without having to start the engine.
Be carefull of co2 levels when using propane.

I use a Mr. Buddy, Jr. I wouldn't use one with the tip-over safety disabled, even if attached to a vertical surface.

Not sure where you get your 17-amp draw from as noted above. A 1500-watt inverter is using 120-VAC as power, and that is what your inverter has to provide. As the inverter is less than 100% efficient in conversion, you have to provide even more than the calculated amperage.

For a rough calculation you divide the AC watts by 12, then multiply by 1.1, which gives about 137.5 amps from your batteries to the inverter.

This calculation is in keeping with my observations in running the microwave on our boat with the 1000-watt inverter that I installed. It pulls very close to 90 amps.

I don't believe there are any viable electrical heat solutions on a 12-volt boat.

Brian

slipkid

Reaction score
I've been dealing with this for years. No cheap options if you don't want flames...

Now I'm pricing 2000 watt generators (I'll get a honda or yamaha, leaning toward the yamaha) and am going to run a ceramic heater. Also plan to have a coffee pot going! Can't wait!!

I'm in lake superior so no salt on the genny to worry about. If you are in the salt the spray may be a consideration for you.

wanderer200

Reaction score
Not sure where you get your 17-amp draw from as noted above. A 1500-watt inverter is using 120-VAC as power, and that is what your inverter has to provide. As the inverter is less than 100% efficient in conversion, you have to provide even more than the calculated amperage.

I don't believe there are any viable electrical heat solutions on a 12-volt boat.

Brian[/quote]
The 1500 watt heater specs shows it draws 17 amps so I assumed thats what the draw would be.
I am finding that there really is no good solutions for electric heat.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
wanderer200 said:
The 1500 watt heater specs shows it draws 17 amps so I assumed thats what the draw would be.

That 17-amps on the heater spec is at 120VAC. That is what your inverter would have to put out. In order to do that, with 12VDC as an input, the DC current from the batteries might be closer to 150amps.

Not sustainable from batteries.

We use a Honda EU2000 to run our 6,500-BTU reverse cycle A/C. No problem.

Brian

wanderer200

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
wanderer200 said:

That 17-amps on the heater spec is at 120VAC. That is what your inverter would have to put out. In order to do that, with 12VDC as an input, the DC current from the batteries might be closer to 150amps.

Brian[/quote

Well that I did not know. Thanks for that info. I was gonna try to run in cabin only but now I see thats not gonna work. You just saved me about 400 bucks and at the same time, squashed my hopes. :cry:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nothing wrong with having propane Mr. buddys, you will get a lot more heat and down low to keep the feet warm too.

Mount it on a squate piece of plywood if you are concerned it will roll over.

People have gas stoves and ovens inside their homes, nothing to worry about burning gas fuel; propane, or natural gas, all the same.

If you use a lot of heat and often, you can get the hoses and fittings to covert the Mr Buddys to the larger 10 or 20 lb barbeque tank, make sure to place that tank outside of enclosure. I believe each smaller buddy makes the same as about one 1500 watt electric heater, so one or two will be more than enough. Price Club the propane by the case or go bulk.
For electric you will need a 3000/3500 watt geerator to equal two buddys.