Tow vehicle for '94 Sailfish 25

jsdull

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a 25' sailfish and wanted opinions on towing it the 550 miles home with my Sierra 1500 4x4. With (2) 225 Yamaha ox66's I'm sure it's in excess of the rated tow weight for my truck (8300 lbs) but wondered if anyone had similar experience. My truck is equipped with tow pkg & trans cooler and the trailer is very roadworthy with working trailer brakes. Once home the boat ramps are within 10 miles of my house so I figure I can get by with the 1/2 ton truck until it's time to trade again.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Trailered my Sailfish with a 1500 Suburban (tow pkg./350 c.i./cooler) for 18 years without problems. If you have disk brakes all the way around you're good to go. If not, be extra cautious with your stopping distance. For long haul, move all boat gear into truck, and tow with boat as dry as possible. If a 2500 is not in the picture for a while, you might be able to add something to boost the rear axle capacity to carry the tongue weight and keep things level. I used helper springs, but that was ages ago. 25' Sailfish is a great boat so I hope you can swing it.

richie rich

Reaction score
I initially pulled mine with a 2500 diesel.....but I thought brakes were more important...both trailer and rear axle (discs if you got them)......its got some heft to it..

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your boat weighs in at 5500 lbs and you can add roughly 1000 lbs for twin motors, anchor, etc. Make sure there is no other gear, fuel or water that would give you additional weight. Add the weight of the trailer and you should be about right with that truck. Check on the tongue weight because that is also important. Make sure you understand how the trailer brakes work, especially if you have surge brakes. Please don;t trailer that big boat unless your brakes on the truck and trailer are in top shape. Don't ask me how I know.....

qbfishon

Reaction score
Nice Boat, I had a 1990 25 sportbridge with twin yamis 200, I towed it with my 1/2 ton chev and it felt like the front tires were off the ground!!! I bought a 2001 ford EXCURSION 4x4 with the v10 and it pulled awesome averaged about 13 mpg up here in Upper Michigan. The excursion rides like a car but pulls like a semi. good luck qb

cwdusmc

Reaction score
Same reply I posted on another thread: See if you can get the seller to let you take the boat (loaded) to the scales and have it weighted, or if not, have him weigh it and send you the weight ticket, then you will know exactly what you are hauling.
Searching the internet, I agree with Daman858 that the bare weight is around 5500lb w/o engine and 900-1000lb for twins. Fuel is around 6.2lb per gallon and water around 6.5 per gallon if there are fluids on board. Lots of weight for all the extras you throw in the boat, and of course the weight of the trailer (1000lb or more depending on the type). Don't forget that tow weights are reduced by passengers and cargo in the vehicle. If your truck is rated for 8300lb, you may be close so take it easy and give yourself plenty of stopping room (make sure the trailer brakes are properly adjusted)!
A lot of people tow more than recommended and don't even realize they are doing it. Whether that is safe or not is a personal decision.
Stay safe,
Craig