Towing Sailfish 272 with a D-max

SBLGFD

Reaction score
Well we made it home – I am going to start a new post with some photos tonight I hope. Well any way we drove to Charleston to pickup the Sailfish and spend a few days boating in the ICW. Unfortunately the other three members of my family wanted a warmer spring break so after some local boating to make sure all was well we were off to Florida with the boat in tow. We had an invitation from some friends to meet them on Peanut Island – County park with camping near Palm Beach. So the long and short of this is 2500 miles in five days with the boat in tow. Truck is a stock 07 classic with the exception of tires and hitch – towed from Charleston to Palm Beach then up to the Madison Wi area then home to Door County. Towed in a high of 89 degrees – near Orlando, to a low of 24 - near Madison. Fuel was typical truck stop with Bio where I could find it. Averaged about 9.25 MPG. Most of this was interstate driving with moving speeds at +- 70MPH. I would estimate about 200 miles total was on two lane state roads with a speed of 50-60 MPH. Towed in the tow haul mode with the transmission choosing when to shift except for some of the long down hills where I went to Manual mode and held the gears back for additional braking, truck was left running during all stops with the exception of the one overnight stay.

Chris

okletsfish

Reaction score
My truck has the LLY series engine[late 04].Also my boat isn`t as large
as most here,so sometimes I forget to use the tow/haul mode.I have noticed if I don`t use it the transmission shifts into OD at about 5mph sooner.The real key to better mileage is keeping the rpm`s at 2000 or lower.I also havn`t chiped or done anything to the exhaust.I feel that if anyone needed more power to pull their boat or construction equiptment
they most likely needed a bigger truck. :wink: