Trade the Grady for a bay boat?

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Guys talk me down! Recently I've been considering trading in or selling my 2011 Freedom 225 and getting a 23 ft bay boat. My reasons have to do with rod storage, or lack of, and bay fishing. My boys think a bay boat would match our needs better, I'm not so sure ...
Thanks
Doug

grady23

Reaction score
How familiar are you with "Dead-Rise" boats. Most don't run much over 18-22 Knts. True -- a few are faster , but most are built for brute force heads-up sea-keeping abilities. I haven't seen to many in the 23Ft range as most are usually 30+ ft, single engine set-ups. They can be great boats when used for the intended purpose. What it your most important feature(s) that fit your needs?? I would work around that first and then go from there. I have spent my entire life around the Chesapeake and have seen many different designs. Most are built for commercial work or charter fishing.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think RUF is thinking of a bay boat like a Nauticstar or Shearwater center console. By that, it's a wide, relatively shallow V flat, stable fishing platform. Easy to fish out of, but a completely different ride and experience in rougher Gulf waters.

It's really a matter of how you will be using the boat...if you are fishing more, it's tough to beat a center console. I've fished out of my 225, and it can be done, but it's a different experience.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think you need to assess what you want to do with the boat. Sounds like you may have made an expensive mistake.
The freedom is a multipurpose family boat, more for fun than fishing. A bay boat while good for harbors, backwater and somewhat protected bays are generally not a good fit for coastal or offshore rougher waters. If I were in your shoes, I would look at center consoles that may give you more fishing options than a bay boat, unless you plan to exclusively use in calm waters.

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
I always wanted a Grady White and planned to do a lot of coastal and off/nearshore fishing (running out to the rigs etc) . The 225 Freedom appealed because it allowed me to do all of this and have a family boat to keep everyone happy ,the ability to entertain friends out on the water was a huge plus. The reality is certain people never want to go on the boat so the idea of a family boat is a mere pipe dream. I also over estimated our free time to take off for a day on the water, with 2 busy boys the weekends fill up quickly,driving down to the dry dock is the last thing anyone wants to do. When we do use the boat, it's fishing with my two teenagers and a friend, typically we target redfish/trout within the Galveston Bay complex. Normally we take about a dozen various fishing rods including a couple of fly rods, plus a few buckets of live bait in the well . Having said this the boat handles it well and hasn't skipped a beat so far, but I need much more rod storage including dedicated fly rods. There are many CC bay boats that fit this requirement such as the Yellowfin 24, Shearwater, Cape Bay23 , Key West 230 etc. They all draft about 12-14' (16" for the Grady) and weigh about 1000# less than the Grady. The only thing they lack is offshore capability, which is where the Grady excels, so if that's something I need perhaps I should just keep the Grady... Decisions decisions

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm with Fishtales.
There are several Center Consoles, Grady's included that are a more dedicated fishing platform than your Freedom, plus with a CC, you'll have greater rough water capability, therefore more destination options.

I know dual consoles are the rage nowadays, but when you try to please everyone...Well, you know..

Vic H

Reaction score
Couldn't you add a hardtop to your Freedom 225 with additional rod holders? Or add vertical rod holders to the transom on both sides of the stern seat. Trading boats is expensive and you already have one of the best boats made.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In my part of the Gulf, conventional wisdom says that you need at least 3 boats: An offshore deep V, a bay boat, and a back country skiff or jon boat. Conventional wisdom gets expensive.

I use my 226 for offshore and my J16 Carolina skiff for the back country. But I trade off trips with a friend with a 21 ft bay boat. We use the bay boat for fishing Homosassa Bay out to maybe 12 miles and for the outside islands. He takes it offshore as far as 35 miles in good weather, but I won't ride with him. Bay boats are much wetter than a deep V and offer no protection from the elements. You can put a folding Bimini top on one, but you can't mount front and side curtains. For colder weather or thunderstorms, I want to be in my Grady. A bay boat will slap you silly in a 2-3 ft gulf chop. They are safe as long as you slow down when it gets sporty. But plan on getting wet.

Bay boats are much nicer to cast from than a dual console or walk around boat. The casting platforms and low gunwales make it a real pleasure for spinning or fly casting. The other big advantage is that you can mount an electric trolling motor on the bow. My buddy's boat has a Minn Kota iPilot which replaces a conventional anchor or a sea anchor when fishing. I wish I could mount one on my Grady for setting up over offshore reefs.

Bay boats are also more fuel efficient than deep Vs like the Grady. That is unless you run them at over 50 mph like many of the wackos do down here.

So it depends on the type of fishing you plan to do. If I get old enough to give up running offshore, I would have a bay boat. Considering their popularity, it's surprising that Grady White hasn't come out with a model to compete in that sector.

gradydriver

Reaction score
I agree with Doc....No one boat does it all....there is always compromise....Keep the Grady and buy a Bay boat... :mrgreen:

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Vic H said:
Couldn't you add a hardtop to your Freedom 225 with additional rod holders? Or add vertical rod holders to the transom on both sides of the stern seat. Trading boats is expensive and you already have one of the best boats made.
I'm checking into replacing the captains chair with a custom leaning post. I also spoke with GW and they suggested modified gunwale rod holders for the fly rods.
I'll keep everyone posted.

MixinItUp

Reaction score
As you already know, no one can answer your question other than you. But boy have i been in your shoes..... In April 2011 I sold my 2001 228 Seafarer for all the same reasons. Granted my kids are younger than yours, but I told myself the bay boat was "the boat" for us. In May 2011 I bought a pristine 2009 Pathfinder 24 Tournament with 50 hours on it, a great bay boat!

After my kids cried for a month that there was no shade on it, my wife let two pairs(hers and then mine) of brand new Costas blow off her head/face in a 15 minute period and I couldn't go nearshore which is what I like to do, I sold the Pathfinder in July 2011 and bought a 2006 228 the same month.

Moral of the story.... Never loan your wife your Costas after hers literally blow off her face. Seriously, you've just got to determine if you value the capability to entertain family/friends and at times handle heavier seas. If you do, keep the 225 and develop your own inshore style in it. If not, make the move.

I would definitely vote to keep the 225 but my vote is useless to you.

Couple thoughts....I assume you use the forward seating platform as a fishing platform. A properly sized molded cooler(yeti or other brand) between the two seats could help make that area a solid platform. Have you considered using the SeaSucker rod racks. A few of those strategically placed can really help with rod storage and can be removed when using the boat for the beach. I have used them and can tell you they work great.

Good luck with the decision. If you do decide that you have to make the change, I can attest that you can always come back to a Grady if it doesn't work out! And you may.....

Padgett
Mixin'ItUp
Savannah GA

GulfSea

Reaction score
MixinItUp said:
As you already know, no one can answer your question other than you. But boy have i been in your shoes..... In April 2011 I sold my 2001 228 Seafarer for all the same reasons. Granted my kids are younger than yours, but I told myself the bay boat was "the boat" for us. In May 2011 I bought a pristine 2009 Pathfinder 24 Tournament with 50 hours on it, a great bay boat!

After my kids cried for a month that there was no shade on it, my wife let two pairs(hers and then mine) of brand new Costas blow off her head/face in a 15 minute period and I couldn't go nearshore which is what I like to do, I sold the Pathfinder in July 2011 and bought a 2006 228 the same month.

Moral of the story.... Never loan your wife your Costas after hers literally blow off her face. Seriously, you've just got to determine if you value the capability to entertain family/friends and at times handle heavier seas. If you do, keep working to develop an inshore style in the 225. If not, make the move.

I would vote for the 225 that's useless to you.

Couple thoughts....I assume you use the forward seating platform as a fishing platform. A properly sized molded cooler(yeti or other brand) between the two seats could help make that area a solid platform. Thane you looked at using the SeaSucker rod racks. A few of those strategically placed can really help with rod storage and can be removed when using he boat for the beach.

Good luck with the decision. I can attest that you can always come back to a Grady if it doesn't work out!

Padgett
Mixin'ItUp
Savannah GA

Toooo funny! My Wife lost a hat and got the @E#$ beat out of her on a sea trial on a CC. After that ride, we weren't going near anything rough riding again.....enter the 228. She absolutely loves it and doesn't hesitate going to close in places with me. But once we lose sight of land, she's not happy.

MixinItUp, I would probably hold on to that 225 for a while to make sure a trade is what you want. As mentioned, there are several things you can do to accommodate fishing equipment. You'll find as I and others that you really need to 2 boats or trade out with a friend for inshore or offshore. I use mine inshore all the time but of coarse am limited by draft.

billyttpd

Reaction score
I read the entire thread and would agree with alot of what was posted. I would try to make some mods to your Freedom that make it more conducive to your type fishing than get a new boat. Try that for a season and if its still not working than try for a new boat. RUF in your post It seemed to me that finding time to use the boat you have now is not always on easy task so new boat and new payments will really get old fast! But should you deecide to trade up at least gettin your money out of the 225 shouldnt be too hard. Thats a great boat and they are very popular up here in the Delaware New Jersey area.

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Trade the Grady for a bay boat? Update

Guy's I thought I would post an update . After a lot of thought, I decided to sell my Grady 225 Freedom and move on to something different. The thought of modifying the 225 just did not appeal to me, I would destroy the sleek looks trying to turn it into a dedicated fishing boat. The good news, I sold the boat in less than 30 days for more than 90% of my asking price, this was back in March. The resale market on Grady's is very strong, a true testament to their value.
I turned around and ordered a new Key west 230 Bay Reef with all the fishing stuff on it. While the fit/finish is not quite GW standards it's not bad either,it's a great bay boat for my needs. I am actually able to get out and use it more this season, surprisingly the wife likes it better too. I can't explain that one.
I will definitely be back in a Grady someday, when I'm ready for an offshore boat after the boys are done with school. The Canyon 271 would be my dream boat!
Cheers!

Graybeard

Reaction score
I fish in the Chesapeake Bay and I have a new Freedom 225. Before that I had a 21' deep vee walk around and before that a 20' modified vee center console. The Parker 23 center console with a 15 degree modified vee hull is a very populay bay style boat in these parts. It handles our short steep chop well but to compare the ride to a GW 22 is out of the question. I would never give up ride quality overs rod storage. Plus I really like the enclosed transom of my GW over the notched transoms of most of the 20-23' bay boats I've seen