Trailer Recomendations?

Enough Already

Reaction score
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death already but I'm starting to think trailer for my 2001 265 Express. Been on a rack for 6 years and I'm starting to think about road trips. Already have the F250 Powerstroke, so tow vehicle should be fine. For the 265 (or similar) owners out there - any real-life recommendations? Brand, construction material, number of axles, axle type, bunk, rollers, new, used, or just rent, etc? I know I need to calc the fully loaded weight of dry boat + motors (twin 225 OX66), fuel (2 tanks), water, hardtop (option?), etc - what else?

bc282

Reaction score
you can do a HD tandem trailer with twin 7000# axles and HD tires for a 14,000# trailer or a 15,000# triaxle trailer with 3-5000# axles and regular ST or LT tires. The triaxle trailer will carry the load better and leave the boat sitting lower on the trailer and thus easier to launch and recover.
In canada it's the law for a larger trailer to have driver actuated brakes and not surge brakes and it's a good idea too. Brakes on all axles combined with a good quality fully proportional elec brake controller will give you the best stopping and control over the load. Most people opting for this type of set up go with electric over hydraulic brakes (disc brakes). The only real diff is the brake actuator and battery set-up with costs a bit more (about $500-800)
With larger trailer boats, i'd most definitely go bunks with forward centering bunks, radial tires, LED lights, alum trailer, Stainless hardware where all possible and if you can get oil bath hubs. thqt's my wish list from my experience. Trailer is not a place to go with the lowest price, buy a high quality trailer and it will serve you well and long with minimal headaches.
Depending on you location there are a lot of good trailers to pick from.
you may find more trailer opinions on THT's truck and trailer section too.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got an ALL AMERICAN trailer from Florida , bunks, torsion bar suspension, kodiac discs ,twin axles and spare hub/ wheel.

Hitch is rated for 20,000lbs. and each axle is around5,500lbs i think.

I have fitted teflon strips over the top of the carpet. (much better) and had to have the main rear bunks stiffened as they were leaning out a little.

I would make sure in future that the main rails extend all the way back to the length of the bunks. I can run a thru hull with fairing block in the centre with no isues.

Longest distance travelled is 1,000 miles in 2 days. Highway speed with my Landcruiser is about 55 mph. Price $3500 usd.
PC240037.jpg

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not an expert on this stuff but have seen a few folks with probs with tri axles turning, as well as making sure the load is very evenly distributed between all 3 axles. Saw one here which kept on blowing front tyres.

And then you have the issue of three x wheels and brakes and axles to maintain after salt water immersion instead of two.

Obviously some loads require 3, but if it's not necessary why complicate things?

LIke all the boating stuff i have had to ponder lately. So many questions and so many answers......which one is right for you?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BC282 is right on, and a tandem is desirable over triple as mentioned, and you can do that with the 16" wheels at a load rating to get you to your capacity. We looked at this subject in depth on trailering a 282 as well. You'll want something in the 12-14K lb rating. Better over-rated than under. You will be about 12K lbs on a trailer. These types of trailers are bunk trailers.

Don't forget to install a heavier hitch on your truck as they generally install a 5-7,000 lb rated unit. Just make sure everything is rated for your towing load, like the pull bar and ball. And make sure your trans has synthetic ATF in it if doesn't already.

I have a RoadKing which is a decent trailer, and I think they have a factory in Miami. They do have a ton of dealers in FL. The problems I've had with my trailer aren't really related to the manufacturer, but trailers and saltwater make for lots of little problems. You can shop their site for the various ratings and setups: www.roadkingtrailers.com This is prolly the model that would work: RKAV 30-32TB It's a torsion axle tandem, with 16" load range E tires - 12,000 net carrying capacity.

Magic-tilt always seems to come up on the top list for aluminum trailers.

If you're up to modifying a trailer to fit, you might find something used that a boat mover is giving up on, they do come up for sale from time to time. They are harder to sell for the bigger boats. I've seen a couple of used ones out here in the $8-$10K range.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Southeastern Marine has a link from their website to Road-King's recommended trailer for each GW model. They are recommending a tri-axle for anything over 27'

That said, I would call Steve at East Coast Trailers (407-718-0066) and see what he recommends. He deals with Loadmaster (out of Tampa) and Hi-Tech (factory in Panama City)....but delivery can be arranged.

The bigger question is - do you have a tow vehicle big enough to tow the boat?

Enough Already

Reaction score
Parthery said:
Southeastern Marine has a link from their website to Road-King's recommended trailer for each GW model. They are recommending a tri-axle for anything over 27'

That said, I would call Steve at East Coast Trailers (407-718-0066) and see what he recommends. He deals with Loadmaster (out of Tampa) and Hi-Tech (factory in Panama City)....but delivery can be arranged.

The bigger question is - do you have a tow vehicle big enough to tow the boat?

2007 F250 Diesel !

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You got a link for 'southeastern marine'? Couldn't find them in a search. Would like to browse their chart for trailers.

Jekyl- If you have an automatic transmission in that toyota be sure to keep a really close eye on the fluid. That amount of weight for that running gear is really going to accellarate wear. Change it out on the first hint of darkening, put some synthetic ATF in there, and consider a trans temp gauge if you don't already have one. There are some nifty clamp-on senders you can put on the cooler line, measures within a few degrees of one immersed in the oil. Handy dash gauge to show you where you're at.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
An F250 Powerjoke (sorry couldn't help it) will have no problem towing it. Unless you step up to the 16" rims with heavier duty axels a tandem probably isn't going to cut it.

Ken Lahr has one hell of a nice trailer, check his out. It's for a Sailfish but similar size and weight.

Renovator

Reaction score
I went with a trip axle RoadKing and it was a fairly easy tow from NC to FL when I made the boat purchase. Trailer is rated at #13,500 and my F250 pulled it fine.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Before you choose, contact

Gary R Straw
Loadmaster
loadmaster@cros.net

At a minimum, Gary is a wealth of information on what you need and what is overkill. Mine is a bit of overkill, but that was my choice. I will put well over 1000 miles a year on the trailer.

Each of Gray's trailers are custom build for your boat. I have been more than happy with my trailer. I just returned from a Maryland to St Augustine Fl trip. The 282 was riding on a pillow.

Desperado

Reaction score
I just purchased a trailer for my Sailfish from Hi-tech in Panama City. I went with the heavy tandem and 4 wheel Kodiaks. I would buy it again.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Desperado said:
I just purchased a trailer for my Sailfish from Hi-tech in Panama City. I went with the heavy tandem and 4 wheel Kodiaks. I would buy it again.

Pics?????
:?:

Bread

Reaction score
trailer question

When trailering a boat is their a recommended safe clearance distance from the OB skeg to the road? Trying to determine if I need to tilt my engine and get a transom saver.

nevsatII

Reaction score
I agree with Kenlahr. I purchased a trailer from Gary at Loadmaster for my Gulfstream and could not be happier with the trailer.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions Chris, before i picked up Tanami in Brisbane Port 1000 miles south of here I had the toyota dealers specifically change the fluid. They said the fluid in those transmissions have a lifetime gaurantee. Just don't run it in overdrive while towing.I suggested that I would still like it changed. Which they did.

My Cruiser has done over 240,000 k's pulling 3 different boats all at least 7,000 lbs. Tanami is certainly the heaviest.

The transmission ( or engine for that matter) is showing no signs of problems and when I unhook the boat I would be happy to compare it with anything that came out of a GM or Ford factory! I certainly don't have the grunt that some of those vehicles have but I'm never in a hurry with that much weight out back.