Water in bilge of 87 Overnighter 204

brodie129

Reaction score
Last few outings have noticed considerable water coming from drain plug. I normally leave the bilge pump off. My livewell valve is closed since I need A new livewell pump. Could this water be from defective hoses? Could it be as simple as a new plug? I need help. The water drained for 5 minutes yesterday. I haves major leak and the hull is in good shape.
Thanks!

gw204

Reaction score
Check your thru hulls. If they are original there's a good chance one or more are cracked and leaking.

brodie129

Reaction score
Would these be the thru hull fitting on the bottom? Soldo check thru hull fittings for the bilge pump too? We were in very rough water yesterday and water was over the transom in front of engine. I have only owned this boat about 2 years and never surveyed upon purchasing it. It's been one thing or the other. I will check them all, thanks!

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check the sealant around the panel in the engine well. I had mine off for service and did not reseal. Surprising how much water can accumulate. Also deep hatch in between the helm seats and entire cuddy area drain into bilge. Check them also.

brodie129

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Bob,
I am going to put some water in bilge with drain plug in and check the seal around the thru hull fitting on the bottom of the boat for leakage. Take appropriate action from there. If it does leak I will have a dealer do it. Too much to risk! Anyone have any other ideas I would appreciate the input.

brodie129

Reaction score
Found the source of leak was the access compartment at the transom. There was a hole or breaking the seal allowing water to go into the bilge. Filled the bilge with water no leaks at the brass thru hull fitting and checked the bilge pump which worked well. Will keep bilge switch on when out, and we had a lot of water splashing into this area due to high wave conditions.
Thanks! All through hull fittings on sides looked good too .