What size anchor for the Islander?

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am looking for a replacement anchor for the Islander (26') after donating ours to the reef last fall. I know it needs to fit the anchor locker but I am not sure what size it was. Some charts are showing a 9 pounder for 17 - 27 foot boats. I don't want to buy the larger size (13) and not have it fit the locker. Can anybody measure the locker width and reply? I am thinking it was about 22 inches wide. Thanks

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I can't help you with using a 7# anchor on an Islander, as my 55 years of experience on the water takes me in a slightly different direction with regard to ground tackle.

We have a 22# Delta FastSet on the anchor roller, and a Danforth 12H in a bracket on the bow rail. The anchor locker is holding 600-ft of 1/2" plaited line and 30-ft of 1/4" chain. Rode for the spare anchor is stored below - 200-ft and 6-ft of chain.

Anchor%20Bracket.jpg

Brian

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wow, you get 600 feet of rode in the locker. I have trouble getting 200 in there but I sometimes put the anchor in there off season. I use the danforth due to frequently getting caught up in the rocks and loosing a $50 anchor an $50 of rode is painful enough.( 2X in 3 years) We do not overnight and is stored on the parking lot when not used. She is covered with snow right now and I needed the measurement for the stock length to fit into the locker.
Doesn't the anchor hanging on the rail put a lot of stress up there? My railing brackets are already loose. (another job for the spring)
Thanks for the reply.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nothing loose up there, and many, many miles under the keel

I will try to get to the boat and measure the width of the locker for the anchor stock.

Had 300-ft of 3-strand, 1/2-inch nylon rode and it filled the locker. Also full now, but the plaited line falls and stacks like dropping chain into a bucket, so 600-ft of plaited line in the same space. We are often offshore, and nice to know I can get to the bottom, and likely hold, in 35-40 fathoms.