What's up with my gelcoat damaging so easily? Can I use the boat?

seasick

Reaction score
I can see fibers in the photos. That means the glass is exposed and will absorb water, Looking at the photos again, it may be true as proposed that these are repairs to previous damage. They do not appear to be very good repairs though but it is hard to tell. Regardless, proper fix is grinding out a larger area with well tapered edges, multiple layers of glass cloth followed by gel coat or faring compound and gel coat.

Remind me later not to dry stack if that is what can happen.
Good luck with the repair. Let us know how it all works out.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
100% agreed... I already patched with Marine-Tex and will keep it out of the water until cured.

Photo narrative time... I'll preface all of this by saying I am a total amateur and will get the hull fixed by a professional eventually.

Before I started:
IMG_20200726_090332~2.jpg
IMG_20200726_090356~2.jpg
IMG_20200726_090407~2.jpg

I then prepped the area by sanding with rough paper and using a Dremel tool to remove any chipped gelcoat. I cleaned away dust and dirt using compressed air and rolling the sticky side of painter's tape across it. I taped around the spot to minimize epoxy over good glass:

IMG_20200726_153509~2.jpg
IMG_20200726_153500~2.jpg
IMG_20200726_153451~2.jpg

I mixed the 2 oz. Marine-Tex kit and stirred for 2-3 minutes per the directions. When I started applying it was liquid and runny (despite packaging promises that it wouldn't run on vertical surfaces). I should have waited a few minutes until it was the perfect paste consistency. You really have a small window with this stuff (at least when it's 90⁰F outside) because a few minutes after that it started to get quite goopy and additional spreading / smoothing started to make it look worse so I called it done for a first rough coat:

IMG_20200726_162545~2.jpg
IMG_20200726_162536~2.jpg
IMG_20200726_162520~2.jpg

Anyone know a good fiberglass guy in the Solomons, MD, area?

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I also am a amateur so take whag I know as such.. but I think that area is too small.. others on here have far. more experience with hull repair than I do. I hope it works for you and you get back on the water.. but get it fixed properly. IMHO

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Looks good enough for now. Keep an eye on it to see if it pops back out.

With the better pictures, they definitely look like air voids. It was just a matter of time till they popped. There may be others - you can sometimes find them by noticing a slightly dented area or very small cracks in a slightly oblong pattern - kinda like someone "poked" the gelcoat. Other times you can find them by listening closely as you rap on the surface.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
That looks like a previous repair to me. Note the white part, looks a lot thicker than gelcoat should be. A closer look around the area, maybe by a pro should be able to tell.
Dennis,
I have seen what you are referring to as well but I don't think this is the case in this boat but hard to tell from pictures. Normally when you have voids between the glass resign and the gelcoat happens when the hull is in the mold. When the gelcoat eventually pops you see resign, you don't see the cloth. That's my observation when I noticed that and it usually happens on hand laid glass ( like the GW's are) on very sharp edges . If that's the problem with this boat he should have more voids elsewhere.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Here's ding #3 after curing and removing the painter's tape. Like @DennisG01 said I think this qualifies as "good enough for now". I'll get it professionally repaired after the boat is shipped from Maryland to California - I'm sure it'll pick up another ding or two on the journey.

IMG_20200727_081056 (1).jpg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Unfortunately part of boating. I had my keel and strakes repaired over the holidays, and then my old trailer chewed them up again. It was frustrating. I patched the dings up with Marine Tex a few months ago, and will get them professionally repaired when the shop has time. Small shop and many water craft with open checkbooks.

Hoping your new boat reaches California safely.

Reactions: mr_mbuna

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That looks like a previous repair to me. Note the white part, looks a lot thicker than gelcoat should be. A closer look around the area, maybe by a pro should be able to tell.
Dennis,
I have seen what you are referring to as well but I don't think this is the case in this boat but hard to tell from pictures. Normally when you have voids between the glass resign and the gelcoat happens when the hull is in the mold. When the gelcoat eventually pops you see resign, you don't see the cloth. That's my observation when I noticed that and it usually happens on hand laid glass ( like the GW's are) on very sharp edges . If that's the problem with this boat he should have more voids elsewhere.
Unfortunately (fortunately?) I've seen more than my fair share of voids! Yes, it happens exactly as you said - inside corners (in the mold) don't always get all of the air rolled/squeezed out. The air can get trapped in the glass, as well - or maybe not enough resin was pushed in to fully saturate the glass. But, this definitely looks like air voids to me - they look exactly like I've seen numerous times before.

There very well could be voids somewhere else - but there's as good of a chance that there isn't, as well. Meaning, just because there are three voids here, doesn't "guarantee" voids somewhere else.

Greatty

Reaction score
I definitely would have seen those spots pre purchase - I went over the boat with a fine tooth comb and hired a surveyor.

I agree they must have been caused by bumping something. I didn't hit anything with the force I would expect to cause a ding though. Here are some close ups of the three spots, taken just now, the morning after (click to enlarge):

1: View attachment 14928
2: View attachment 14926
3: View attachment 14927

The trailer does need adjustment - I pulled it to check the fit after raising the bunks and take measurements for how to move or cut the bunks to accommodate the trim tabs. Right now the bunks are sitting at 23-27" off center; Grady says the stringers are at 10.5" and 22.5" off center. That's structurally close enough but they are hitting the trim tabs (which have a protruding lip) so moving them in 3" should help to clear the tabs.

yl2m5q7.jpg
...and I'd take a look at that transom cap as well. Appears to be some corrosion left and right or maybe I'm not seeing it just right. But if so, you could probably take care of it now before it gets worse. Enjoy the boat!

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
...and I'd take a look at that transom cap as well. Appears to be some corrosion left and right or maybe I'm not seeing it just right. But if so, you could probably take care of it now before it gets worse. Enjoy the boat!
Good eye. I am sealing it with silicone for the short term. I will have the engine pulled this winter (when shops are less busy) to replace the transom cap and some of the mounting bolts that are rusty.