When did you get your first Grady-White?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have been drooling, lusting, dreaming of owning a Grady-White since 1990 when I started fishing and learned what a Grady was. Life, finances, jobs have always gotten in the way. Have owned boats since 1990, but never a Grady till 2017. A guy named G8RDave reached out to me about his and pretty much the rest is history. Made the drive to Tampa Florida from Kentucky in April of 2017, and brought her home. Been tweaking and freshening her up ever since. Labor of love. Still been using her along the way though. 2004 228 Grady-White Seafarer with 2004 F225, my first Grady.

That's my story, what's yours?
20180129_120542.jpg

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
My dad always had boats as a young man and kept it going with his 5 sons albeit on a smaller scale (12-16 footers) at the summer place as a kid. We used them but never paid for much for anything. My dad retired and I got to thinking it was payback time. He liked to fish and I wanted to get something bigger so we could go out further and with confidence. I bought the boat new and had it ready to go. When he saw the 282 at the dock he was stunned, he thought I was crazy getting that size boat for my first slip boat but he was like a kid in candy store. Even better knowing he wasn't paying for it all.

We had a lot of good times on the water and he got to fish again with his sons and his grandson. When he passed, we talked as a family (now 4 children) and I said it was time to sell the boat. I always thought they put up with it. The kids and even the wife said no way to selling. They wanted to keep it. So I seized the moment and said - if that's the case I'd like to move up to something a bit bigger. My dad didn't get to ride on the 300 when I moved up the following year after his death and he never knew that his passing would be a feeder to getting something bigger. He still on the water with me in my mind on those striper and blues runs.

Reactions: westar and Ky Grady

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
First one was a Spirit 175 in 1992. We were looking for the most seaworthy boat we could stuff in our garage. We had decided on a Hydra-Sport until we saw the Grady at a boat show. We didn’t know anything about Gradys, but the quality jumped out at us.

That was three Grady’s ago.

It is that they have held their value so well that has allowed us to get into each subsequent Grady. When we look at annualized cost of ownership over the long term, I don’t think it is any higher than a mid-tier boat.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good story. I'm sure your dad is smiling down and enjoying seeing you out doing what you guys loved to do.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First one was a Spirit 175 in 1992. We were looking for the most seaworthy boat we could stuff in our garage. We had decided on a Hydra-Sport until we saw the Grady at a boat show. We didn’t know anything about Gradys, but the quality jumped out at us.

That was three Grady’s ago.

It is that they have held their value so well that has allowed us to get into each subsequent Grady. When we look at annualized cost of ownership over the long term, I don’t think it is any higher than a mid-tier boat.

I know you have the Journey up for sale, what are you moving to?

UCPA111

Reaction score
She's a beauty Ky Grady!
Growing up, I spent time on Lake Erie with my parents. Started with a Tiara Pursuit 25 and they then moved up to a Luhrs 34 Convertible. After college, I spent time working on my career. Got a small aluminum boat and hit a reservoir here and there. But my boating days were minimal. Considering I ran 45+ trips per summer as a mate on charter boats each summer as a teenager and then did zero of it!

Fast forward to June 2017 and I saw an ad on marketplace (Facebook) for 1984 Seafarer. It was too good to be true so I had to check it out. I called my Dad and he was like a kid in a candy store looking it over. Motor was blown, but good bones to the boat. I just loved the layout and fishability for trolling on Lake Erie. Made an offer, and the rest is the labor of love restoring it! I purchased a loadmaster trailer in May of this year to have a reliable trailer for it. So, thus began many hours of time working on it with my Dad and my son.

We went out on Erie a dozen+ times this summer I'd venture. Great times! Dad loves driving and putting us on the fish. Walleye fishing (and catching) was amazing. Thankful to be able to spend time with family and friends and looking forward to more of that in years to come!
20180831_193618_resized.jpg

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My first GW was a 1985 Seafarer Had it for 19 years and it’s still going strong today. Second was a 2004 Gulfstream and 2008 onto my current Sailfish.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My Dad gave me the boat bug back in the late 50's when he bought a 17' Lyman. He went up from there. I got my first Grady, a Seafarer in 1994. Got foot-itius, in 1999 went up to a 27 Sailfish. In 2007 the wife made a mistake one morning making breakfast in the galley and said this "if this boat was 5 feet longer we would have a lot more room in here". Hence the 2007 Marlin. Absolutely the best boat for us.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
'86 190 Tournament with a 150 Johnson. Bought it in the Spring of '96. Blew the 150 in '99, had it rebuilt and it blew again during break-in. Replaced it with a 150 Yamaha and ran it until I sold it in the Spring of '04. Since then I've owned:

'99 208 Adventure / 200 OX66 (Spring '04 - Summer '05)
'00 228 Seafarer / 200 SWS (Summer '05)
'01 226 Seafarer / 200 HPDI (Summer '05 - Spring '07)
'05 205 Tournament / F225 (Spring - Summer '07)
'98 180 Sportsman / 150 SWS (Summer '09 - Spring '12)
'98 225 Tournament / 200 SWS (Spring '12 - Fall '13)
'99 223 Tournament / 225 OX66 (Fall '13 - Summer '14)
'00 225 Tournament / 225 OX66 (Spring '15 - Present)

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great stories with all these. Kind of the reason I posted the thread. I've seen most of you on here for years. I've been a member since '06 but laid low for most of it because of not being a owner. I've asked questions of you through the years and you've graciously answered them. Now that I'm an owner and have gone through my 228 on repairs and refreshing, I can give back to the group. Thanks to each of you for your time participating in this thread.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
We purchased our 3 year old 255 Freedom in 2015. It is our first GW. Drove from Connecticut all the way up to Halifax, NS to get it and tow it home. gradymystic.jpgWas well worth the trip.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I've been an avid scuba diver since 1981. Dove with friends a lot from shore until one of them bought a boat. It opened up a whole new experience for us. Ended up with my own, an old wooden POS, and we had all had a grand life until adulthood caught up to us. The boats faded away as responsibilities grew.

Got married in 1992 and introduced her to scuba. Again we dove from shore as affording a boat was a buried dream. Fast forward to 1998 and I hatched a plan. We were 5 years into home ownership and things weren't so tight. I took my wife diving a few times that year and casually mentioned my days of diving off of a boat as a teen and how nice it was. She shrugged it off without taking the bait. One day we dove at a spot where we had to lug our equipment a long way to the water's edge. We were sweating before we started donning our gear. I made sure we surfaced a good distance from shore after our dive so I could discuss the benefits of boat diving on the swim back. By the time we hit land, I hit pay dirt. She was "on board". Bought or first Grady at the 1999 boat show, a new Adventure 208. Since then we got 5 foot itis twice. Our second in 2008 was a new leftover 07 Journey 258 and our third, in late 2014, a 2008 Marlin. Still diving and still smiling.

Reaction score
2005 Grady White Chase 273 Twin Yamaha 150's (2015-2018)
2004 Grady White Express 330 Twin Yamaha 300 HPDI's (2018-present)

Great boats, couldn't think of having anything else....

Jargon

Reaction score
I've been an avid scuba diver since 1981. Dove with friends a lot from shore until one of them bought a boat. It opened up a whole new experience for us. Ended up with my own, an old wooden POS, and we had all had a grand life until adulthood caught up to us. The boats faded away as responsibilities grew.

Got married in 1992 and introduced her to scuba. Again we dove from shore as affording a boat was a buried dream. Fast forward to 1998 and I hatched a plan. We were 5 years into home ownership and things weren't so tight. I took my wife diving a few times that year and casually mentioned my days of diving off of a boat as a teen and how nice it was. She shrugged it off without taking the bait. One day we dove at a spot where we had to lug our equipment a long way to the water's edge. We were sweating before we started donning our gear. I made sure we surfaced a good distance from shore after our dive so I could discuss the benefits of boat diving on the swim back. By the time we hit land, I hit pay dirt. She was "on board". Bought or first Grady at the 1999 boat show, a new Adventure 208. Since then we got 5 foot itis twice. Our second in 2008 was a new leftover 07 Journey 258 and our third, in late 2014, a 2008 Marlin. Still diving and still smiling.

Jim, after 36 years with my wonderful bride, it’s all about having them think it was ‘their’ idea.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Jim, after 36 years with my wonderful bride, it’s all about having them think it was ‘their’ idea.

:cool:
She's the best! Turns out she out fishes me on a regular basis.
Good on you for 36 years!!! Still in love after 26!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
:cool:
She's the best! Turns out she out fishes me on a regular basis.
Good on you for 36 years!!! Still in love after 26!

I'm in for 30 years, 31 in March. Fishing and cruising for us. Maybe 6 footitis will hit and we'll go after a Sailfish.

Reactions: Zebulon

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm in for 30 years, 31 in March. Fishing and cruising for us. Maybe 6 footitis will hit and we'll go after a Sailfish.

1994. Bought a Seafarer (circa 1992) with a 1994 Yamaha Saltwater Series VX 250. These seem to be rare; they were not Ox66's or Saltwater Series II's. I bought the boat new and had my selling dealer re-rig it with the 250. (It had a 200 originally.)

Anyway, I wanted a Grady ever since I saw them outside on display at Cannon's Marina on Longboat during a vacation once.

I went from that Seafarer to a Gulfstream 232 and finally to our 2018 Marlin.

Marvelous boats, great dealerships and wonderful people in the Front Office. I'd buy another Grady, but I'd like to put if off for awhile....

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

Tip of the hat to you and your wife for diving in Gloucester, MA. Hardy souls, you are. I'll go when the water hits 78 degrees, but I prefer 80!