Where to put a dingy on my 282 Sailfish

christo15

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2003 Sailfish and really would like to purchase a little 8ft or smaller dingy to motor around on when on extended trips or just a day on the water. The problem is where to keep it on the boat. I really would like to put a small 4 hp engine on the dingy as well. Has anyone else gone through this? Look forward to any feedback.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I did this on a 282 and my 300 until the mice got my inflatable this year.
Recommendations.
-get an older 2 cycle 4hp outboard. I rebuilt a 73 Evenrude and it was great. Approx 33 pounds. Get one if you can with a separate fuel tank.
-get the 8' inflatable with a soft floor.

It isn't the best boat for this due to room issues, but I would inflate the boat and toss it overboard and then install the engine. I would then tow behind for the rest of the trip and deflate and put away after the last planned use.
I didn't try tying it on the hardtop - maybe an option.
I only did this 3-4 times a year for longer trips.

christo15

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing! The thing is if I want to go to let's say an island with my kids to explore, pulling it behind the boat is a little unwieldy, especially because we are speed demons. Did u ever try to fit it on the bow or anywhere else? Thanks a lot.

bhemi

Reaction score
I have a Marlin and keep an 8'6" West Marine dingy with a soft floor on the hard top. I have a 4 hp Mercury four stroke with the built in gas tank. I bought web material about 2" and put brackets that look like little cupboard handles and clips like on a back pack (terrible descriptions I know) and made two strap to go over the dingy. I clip it in and snug down on the clips and it works great. Installing the outboard on a floating dingy is an adventure and must be done in calm water. I always have a safety line around it because one day I'm going to drop it for sure.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I never tried. I agree with the engine comment. Always a risk mounting it while in the water.

christo15

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! I was wondering about putting the dingy on my hard-top but have concerns with two things; how is it at high speeds (45mph) and what speed is best? Also, I have my sonar and everything on my hardtop, do you? I ask just because I would think it would get in the way. Thanks again!