Why is the covering over this wood support peeling off?

bird67

Reaction score
Assuming I posted this photo properly, I'm interested in opinions about what is going on. This is a photo I took inside the starboard console locker on the forward vertical wall. What you are seeing is the grey rubberized covering over the wood support peeling off. Is this simply that, the rubberized covering simply peeling, or is it a sign of something more sinister going on - like moisture in the wood? For what it's worth the wood is completely solid, shows no signs of being soft or punky. But before I simply glue the covering back in place I thought I'd solicit some thoughts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 924

bird67

Reaction score
This is a better picture, I believe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 921

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
not an expert, but it looks like someone tried to do some kind of repair there. the troweled in filler. i would fully investigate that before resealing the covering. if all is good, get the best wet environment glue you can find. i've had this kind of peel off in all different stuff (marine and non-marine). good luck, ron

suzukidave

Reaction score
do you have speakers installed in the bow?

my 223 has a round hole in the plywood in that bulkhead cut by a stereo speaker installer to provide access to the inside of that compartment. it's possible someone peeled the rubber back to do the same.