Windshield Wiper Doesn't Work - Switch or Motor?

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How do I find out if the problem with my wiper is the switch or the wiper motor?

The port windshield wiper has stopped working on my 2008 282 Sailfish. It was working fine a couple of months agao. Then, ove the last month it started working only intermittantly. Then it started to only work the first time I turned it on, and would not work after that (on the same outting). Now, it does not work at all. The Starboard wiper works fine. There is a single rocker switch that operates both wipers. Hit the lower portion of the rocker and both wipers operate. Hit the upper portion of the rocker and only the starboard wiper operates.

The wiper motor has three wires that connect to it. See attached photos. How can I test to see if power is getting to the motor? If I confirm I have power at the motor when the switch is activated, and the motor does not operate, does that mean I need to replace the motor?

I'm kind of hoping the problem is with the motor, as it looks a lot easier to replace than the switch.

Thanks for any and all input.

Attachments

• IMG_7667.jpg
    IMG_7667.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7668.jpg
    IMG_7668.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7669.jpg
    IMG_7669.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
if you turn the wipers to the on position and put a 12 v tester to the incoming wires it will tell you if you have power going to the motor.

seasick

Reaction score
What is the difference in operation between the lower switch position and the upper position. Is it just speed?
Assuming it is, your ground and one of the feeds is good since the wiper works in one of the positions
. Swap the orange connection with the orange/blue wire connection.
Now try the switch. If the switch position that worked now doesn't and the one that didn't now does, the motor is good and the switch or wiring is the problem

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Legend, that's my next step. Any idea which of the wires to use when I connect the volt meter? I could just try every combination.

Seasick, the rocker switch does not change the wiper speed. Lower position turns on both port and starboard wipers. Upper position turns on Starboard only.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Legend, that's my next step. Any idea which of the wires to use when I connect the volt meter? I could just try every combination.

Seasick, the rocker switch does not change the wiper speed. Lower position turns on both port and starboard wipers. Upper position turns on Starboard only.
I would start with the black and red that are side be side. once connected turn swich to starboard then port. IF you have power it will show in on of the two switch positions.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Took my volt meter to the boat to test the circuit. Initially the wiper did not work. But after jamming my test leads into the connectors a few times, viola, the wiper started to work! Can't say I fixed anything, but it does show the wiper motor is OK. We'll see how long it continues to work.

One correction, I stated the switch positions incorrectly. It turns out the upper position turns on both wipers, and the lower position only turns on the starboard side (captains chair).

seasick

Reaction score
Looks like you found a poor connection. If it is a corrosion issue and you didn't clean the contacts ( or maybe even need to replace them) the problem will probably reoccur but as you stated, wait and see.
I apologize for the bad suggestion, I didn't fully understand what the symptoms were. I understand now that the switch has two positions, starboard wiper only and position 2, both wipers activated.